Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Tbh that mini pool never looked like anything other than a drunks giant puddle to jump in. The loss of the waterfall is unfortunate though. It probably would have created a bit of a mist at that size, which woulda been neat, but probably deemed a nuasance to condo owners who have to walk by it to get home.
Fair point about the puddle. But a sort of green wall and smaller leas disruptive water feature vis a vis below could have worked to retain the water wall.

contemporary-outdoor-fountains.jpg

Why not just have a waterfall minus the dip in the ground? That would still provide that touch of water, but allow for a more generous space for people to use.

I'm also disappointed with the base glass change. I was looking forward to that funky, circular design. I wonder why that was dropped?

Again, I gotta say I'm pretty upset about the loss of the water feature and the alternative blank glass for the base. The latter would have added so much verve to the ground level. Now we're going to get something much less eyecatching and unique. I just don't understand why that was removed from the design? The typical 'cheapening' can't be the issue; considering how high quality the curtain wall is on this tower. If you're reading this, Brad, please stick to the original design.

I wonder if that chrome orb has been axed from inside the front entrance as well?

In this instance i like the revision better, a little more subtle and understated... and less likely to upstage the grande dame next door.

It's one thing to argue, "Well, it was just a rendering... you know those rendering artists, and their trigger-happy artistic representations..." and a whole other thing to have the developer and architect describe the end result in this fashion:

[video=youtube;fDmIY7E9EVU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmIY7E9EVU[/video]

A how-to guide for developers in Toronto:

1. Wax poetic about how your development is going to be a great gift to the city, and provide a world class public space - the next Paley Park!!
2. Scoff at anyone who questions the development by calling them a NIMBY, telling them they're afraid of change and that they lack vision. Tell them that you want Toronto to achieve true greatness, but that they're holding it back.
3. Once you get approval, cut out the very things that made it the next Paley Park.
4. If anyone complains, just shrug your shoulders. No need for any more high-minded claims. You've already made your money.
5. Move onto the next development. Don't bother doing anything special. Cite previous development as a precedent if brought to the OMA.

A how-to guide for developers in Toronto:

1. Wax poetic about how your development is going to be a great gift to the city, and provide a world class public space - the next Paley Park!!
2. Scoff at anyone who questions the development by calling them a NIMBY, telling them they're afraid of change and that they lack vision. Tell them that you want Toronto to achieve true greatness, but that they're holding it back.
3. Once you get approval, cut out the very things that made it the next Paley Park.
4. If anyone complains, just shrug your shoulders. No need for any more high-minded claims. You've already made your money.
5. Move onto the next development. Don't bother doing anything special. Cite previous development as a precedent if brought to the OMA.

So true. A city run by developers. The future looks so bright. :(

Or something like the drip fountain at Yorkville Park would be very well for that wall, without the messy potential for slippery litigation.

AoD

That's disappointing! But I'm not surprised, this is Toronto after all. Other big cities have all kinds of water fountains in private and public parks.

I was kind of hoping for something similar to Samuel Paley Park in NYC, which is also a privately owned public space.

t1larg.paley.park.nyc.scenic.courtesy.jpg

Last edited:
What is it with Toronto and fountains? The same shit was pulled at the Four Season's Hotel, where a fountain turned into a sculpture because they didn't want to get water on cars. Shouldn't these things be taken into consideration from the get go? Lamb should not be allowed to change the plan at this stage of the game. This bait and switch routine needs to be stopped, in this city. Too many developers are doing it and getting away with it.

gabe:

I am not sure if it is paranoia (though I am sure you can find those folks) but a matter of over-practicality. I am sure a water-feature like this would inevitably lead to the question of who will be paying for the maintenance cost - particularly if forecourt/park is transferred to the city.

AoD

The sounds and visuals associated with water would have gone a long way in making this small space something worthwhile. Inanimate sculptures of trees will not have the same effect.

^^ Well then that should have been considered and worked out BEFORE this was approved and went into sales, not after. People should know what they are buying into. Once the design is approved, developers should not be allowed drop whatever they want. It's deceptive and unfair to both buyers and the city. Developers in Toronto have way too much power.

That is too bad. I wonder if it's a liability issue? Meaning, the developer didn't want shell out big sums of insurance money on the event someone slipped and fell because of the water? As rediculous as that sounds, it's a sad reality of our times.

Back