Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Is this a loft or condo? Are there concrete ceilings like a
All other lamb buildings?

www.theatrepark.ca:

13990753521_796ef4eecf_z.jpg

^ I happen to love exposed concrete. Then again, I'm a big fan of brutalist architecture, and many on this forum are not.

^ I happen to love exposed concrete. Then again, I'm a big fan of brutalist architecture, and many on this forum are not.

I like it when done well, not when it's just done as a cash grab. On a sleek "high end" tower like this, I would have liked to see flat drywalled ceilings, especially since I believe the undersides of the balconies will be painted white.

That is too bad. I wonder if it's a liability issue? Meaning, the developer didn't want shell out big sums of insurance money on the event someone slipped and fell because of the water? As rediculous as that sounds, it's a sad reality of our times.

Not "of our times", but "of our city". Toronto has boring residential architecture and rich developers. The two are related. If we get something "grand" like a fountain, which are found everywhere in world class cities, at a project like this, forget it.

Our developers are rich because they value engineer the buildings to death, squeezing out every penny. It may be good for their pockets but it's definitely not good for the city. If Montreal can have fountains, there is no excuse why a richer city like Toronto, can't have them too. (Montreal is much colder)

I think anytime someone uses the term "world-class" as some sort of killer argument about what they believe is lacking in Toronto, that person should be forced to donate $1 to a TTC development fund. We'd have a downtown relief line in, like, minutes!

I also feel like this recent mania for fountains feels very Sim City-ish: drop the right improvement in a neighbourhood and watch your mayor approval ratings skyrocket! Everyone loves traditional architecture! Other cities have them, we should too, don't question it, just put it in!!!11!!

10 years from now, when we've moved through a dozen other manias, we'll probably look back at all of these hokey fountains and find them tres declasse.

I think anytime someone uses the term "world-class" as some sort of killer argument about what they believe is lacking in Toronto, that person should be forced to donate $1 to a TTC development fund. We'd have a downtown relief line in, like, minutes!

I also feel like this recent mania for fountains feels very Sim City-ish: drop the right improvement in a neighbourhood and watch your mayor approval ratings skyrocket! Everyone loves traditional architecture! Other cities have them, we should too, don't question it, just put it in!!!11!!

10 years from now, when we've moved through a dozen other manias, we'll probably look back at all of these hokey fountains and find them tres declasse.

Yeah, that's exactly what I think every time I visit London and Paris. I wish those cities had more grey spandrel towers like us. Oh well, it sucks to be Paris!

In related news London's Gherkin tower entered receivership as it's owner went under. Maybe they should have rich developers and more grey spandrel too! Only in their dreams ;)

^Nice photos.

As per the replies: Haha, people are so funny on this site. There's nothing more parochial than worrying about comparisons to Paris, London and Rome. But Torontonians are nothing if not parochial - wanting fountains that are basically copies of things in other cities. No, wanting "traditional" architecture (whose traditions?) shows how drearily obsessed we are with getting those Big Boys to notice us and give us a pat on the head. Little do we seem to notice that when you have fountains by Renaissance and Romantic artists, ersatz versions of those fountains in Toronto are below interesting.

And did I say anything about apathy? No. Quite the opposite! I wish more people on this site had a bit more imagination about where Toronto should head, in terms of city-building. If we really want to be a city that other cities envy, we should be doing things that no other city does - not putting things in that our Victorian fore parents neglected to include.

There's nothing more parochial than worrying about comparisons to Paris, London and Rome. But Torontonians are nothing if not parochial - wanting fountains that are basically copies of things in other cities. No, wanting "traditional" architecture (whose traditions?) shows how drearily obsessed we are with getting those Big Boys to notice us and give us a pat on the head. Little do we seem to notice that when you have fountains by Renaissance and Romantic artists, ersatz versions of those fountains in Toronto are below interesting.

And did I say anything about apathy? No. Quite the opposite! I wish more people on this site had a bit more imagination about where Toronto should head, in terms of city-building. If we really want to be a city that other cities envy, we should be doing things that no other city does - not putting things in that our Victorian fore parents neglected to include.

Tired...very tired Parkdalian

Water features are simply a universally desirable feature anywhere and any time, but unfortunately don't fit in with the value engineering culture that is so prevalent these days. That's the issue here.

^Nice photos.

As per the replies: Haha, people are so funny on this site. There's nothing more parochial than worrying about comparisons to Paris, London and Rome. But Torontonians are nothing if not parochial - wanting fountains that are basically copies of things in other cities. No, wanting "traditional" architecture (whose traditions?) shows how drearily obsessed we are with getting those Big Boys to notice us and give us a pat on the head. Little do we seem to notice that when you have fountains by Renaissance and Romantic artists, ersatz versions of those fountains in Toronto are below interesting.

What a completely superficial and ridiculous statement. Who was comparing Toronto to Paris? The whole discussion was about the value of fountains (art & beauty) not a comparison to Paris. Of course, we don't compare in that respect. (or many others)

Try to keep your mind on the discussion next time. lol There ain't nothing wrong with fountains and the beautiful sound of falling/flowing water!

Back