Toronto The Whitfield | 130m | 39s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

This thing is getting protected?

I laughed, but it does look good in the renderings when restored!

I kinda roll my eyes at the HCD retention, but on the bright side this does force an interesting look at the street level.

Honestly, it doesn’t become clearer. This was a workaday building. The heritage retention (and reconstruction) will create a varied streetscape, agreed.

But if a mediocre 2s 1918 office building by an anonymous architect is heritage, then: what’s not heritage?
I wouldn't argue for preservation at all here, was only pointing out that the EIFS-covered Tim's wasn't an accurate representation of what's really there.

Final Report for this (approval recommended) coming to Sept 16 mtg of TEYCC.

No surprises, except maybe that the Section 37 agreement is TBD and doesn't even have an amount attached to it in the report.

Good summation of changes to the proposal over the years from the report:

1598970613416.png

1598970641178.png

Approved at TEYCC today with the following Section 37 benefits:

Recommendations
This report recommends deleting recommendation 5. a.) from the Final Report, dated August 24, 2020, item TE18.6 and replacing with the following recommendation:

5. a. The owner shall provide community benefits having a value of $3,500,000 to be allocated to the following:

i. A cash contribution of $1,750,000 towards capital improvements in Toronto Community Housing buildings and/or existing affordable housing units within proximity of the subject site in the Ward, in consultation with the Ward Councillor; and

ii. A cash contribution of $1,750,000 towards local streetscape, parkland and/or community facilities within proximity of the subject site in the Ward, in consultation with the Ward Councillor;​

Approved at TEYCC today with the following Section 37 benefits:

Recommendations
This report recommends deleting recommendation 5. a.) from the Final Report, dated August 24, 2020, item TE18.6 and replacing with the following recommendation:

5. a. The owner shall provide community benefits having a value of $3,500,000 to be allocated to the following:

i. A cash contribution of $1,750,000 towards capital improvements in Toronto Community Housing buildings and/or existing affordable housing units within proximity of the subject site in the Ward, in consultation with the Ward Councillor; and

ii. A cash contribution of $1,750,000 towards local streetscape, parkland and/or community facilities within proximity of the subject site in the Ward, in consultation with the Ward Councillor;​
Just to be pedantic, Community Councils do not approve reports. They send them to City Council with a recommendation—either for or against (and on rare occasions without recommendation)—for how they believe City Council should vote on it. So, the proposal is a huge step closer to approval, it's just not approved yet.

Sales for a 38-storey condo with approximately 400 units will launch in the second half of this year near Front and Sherbourne Streets.

The downtown east location is within walking distance of offices in the core in addition to The Distillery Historic District, George Brown College and the waterfront.

Hope they're keeping the red elements with that branding...

"It's Whitfield, not Whitefeild, Uta!"

...oh!

Back