Toronto The Whitfield | 130m | 39s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure if there's another thread but there is drilling going on this morning at the Esso station at Front and Sherbourne.

IMG_4480.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4480.JPG
    IMG_4480.JPG
    434.6 KB · Views: 12,988
Proper address for this is 176 Front St E. Nothing on the city's development application site.
As they refurbished the station and installed new tanks etc only about 2 years ago I would be very surprised if they are now looking at doing anything major. They (I think the same owner) ARE fixing up the brick building adjacent (on Sherbourne).

Why? Seems like a bizarre place for a flagship Apple Store. I'd expect something like that to be out by Queen & Beverley.

I just wanted to get a head start on speculating. It could also just be a Samsung store.

Or simply nothing and doesn't even warrant a thread to begin with, which I think is most likely.

So basically it's about it being a gas station and not how it looks compared to other gas stations. Unfortunately, they provide a needed service so they can't all close up. The only other on these commuter routes is the Petro Canada at 117 Jarvis. I'd also rather see 122 Dundas St E closed than this one. Greater chance of a stupertall.

My guess is there is some unexplained shrinkage in the tanks. This is not a place where you want the liability of a gas leak. Good chance they will replace the tanks in the next few weeks.

So basically it's about it being a gas station and not how it looks compared to other gas stations. Unfortunately, they provide a needed service so they can't all close up. The only other on these commuter routes is the Petro Canada at 117 Jarvis. I'd also rather see 122 Dundas St E closed than this one. Greater chance of a stupertall.

Yes, it is about it being a gas station. This part of the city has a surplus of gas stations relative to the percentage of the population who owns a car. The land would be better used as a mixed-use building.

Back