Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

I like this project too but it will still not be well connected to TTC (esp subway) and it is unclear which GO trains will actually serve the (possible) Front/Spadina station.
It'll be a ~600m walk from Queen-Spadina station on the Ontario Line. Not particularly close, but not incredibly far either.

the GO station is supposed to be delivered as a part of the public-private partnership with DREAM from my understanding, so it's dependent on DREAMs timing.

It'll be a ~600m walk from Queen-Spadina station on the Ontario Line. Not particularly close, but not incredibly far either.

the GO station is supposed to be delivered as a part of the public-private partnership with DREAM from my understanding, so it's dependent on DREAMs timing.
And that 600m is part of the 510 Spadina car route…

A few interior shots I took last night (Dec. 13).

UTIMG_5757.jpg
UTIMG_5776.jpg

Last edited:
Today. Finally get to see The Well after Indigo and a bunch of other stores opened.

Starting from the back / Indigo area. They’ve set up some cozy lounging areas on the main floor and B1 / in front of Shoppers. The ones down below would benefit from some heat lamps/ fireplaces like the one by the Wellington St entrance sculpture. Temperature within The Well was basically the same as outdoor temperature, and it wasn’t even that cold today.

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

IMG_1098.jpeg

Moving on to the middle part. I think they call this the star bridge. The galleria is a bit dark and the Christmas decor (other than the star bridge) would look better if it was multicoloured instead of being lit from above by rather harsh white LEDs

IMG_1099.jpeg

IMG_1101.jpeg

Across from the star bridge, the woonerf leading to Front St looks great with the lit arches

IMG_1100.jpeg

And finally on to the Spadina entrance. De Melo Coffee located within a residential lobby looks really pretty. Hope those lights are permanent.

IMG_1102.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg

I think something I’m waiting for, is the experience of a resident. The Well isn’t just a couple of towers with some ground floor retail after all. We keep seeing projects pitched around Yorkdale or STC, even Eglinton Square and I’m curious as to how these 15-min mall cities pan out. Will the privately owned spaces forge a good relationship with residents to allow for community use? Time will tell

It just occurred to me that there aren't any/many large trees (in planters like TEC used to have) inside the concourse area.
Maybe @Northern Light can chime in, but given there's a fair amount of protection from the elements (except extreme cold)... I think it would be fun to have some tropicals (hardy palms etc.) here ... some tropical whimsy to counter the winter blahs.... still sorta outside rather than encased in a suburban mall.

In the particular, the terracotta-clad podium would be a stunning backdrop for stuff like Dwarf Palmettos which can survive extreme below zero temps and there's a couple of taller species that can survive below zero temps. 🌴

*Obviously the size of soil volumes needed would come into play with larger species.

Back