Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

I like this project too but it will still not be well connected to TTC (esp subway) and it is unclear which GO trains will actually serve the (possible) Front/Spadina station.
It'll be a ~600m walk from Queen-Spadina station on the Ontario Line. Not particularly close, but not incredibly far either.

the GO station is supposed to be delivered as a part of the public-private partnership with DREAM from my understanding, so it's dependent on DREAMs timing.

It'll be a ~600m walk from Queen-Spadina station on the Ontario Line. Not particularly close, but not incredibly far either.

the GO station is supposed to be delivered as a part of the public-private partnership with DREAM from my understanding, so it's dependent on DREAMs timing.
And that 600m is part of the 510 Spadina car route…

A few interior shots I took last night (Dec. 13).

UTIMG_5757.jpg
UTIMG_5776.jpg

Last edited:
Today. Finally get to see The Well after Indigo and a bunch of other stores opened.

Starting from the back / Indigo area. They’ve set up some cozy lounging areas on the main floor and B1 / in front of Shoppers. The ones down below would benefit from some heat lamps/ fireplaces like the one by the Wellington St entrance sculpture. Temperature within The Well was basically the same as outdoor temperature, and it wasn’t even that cold today.

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

IMG_1098.jpeg

Moving on to the middle part. I think they call this the star bridge. The galleria is a bit dark and the Christmas decor (other than the star bridge) would look better if it was multicoloured instead of being lit from above by rather harsh white LEDs

IMG_1099.jpeg

IMG_1101.jpeg

Across from the star bridge, the woonerf leading to Front St looks great with the lit arches

IMG_1100.jpeg

And finally on to the Spadina entrance. De Melo Coffee located within a residential lobby looks really pretty. Hope those lights are permanent.

IMG_1102.jpeg

IMG_1103.jpeg

I think something I’m waiting for, is the experience of a resident. The Well isn’t just a couple of towers with some ground floor retail after all. We keep seeing projects pitched around Yorkdale or STC, even Eglinton Square and I’m curious as to how these 15-min mall cities pan out. Will the privately owned spaces forge a good relationship with residents to allow for community use? Time will tell

It just occurred to me that there aren't any/many large trees (in planters like TEC used to have) inside the concourse area.
Maybe @Northern Light can chime in, but given there's a fair amount of protection from the elements (except extreme cold)... I think it would be fun to have some tropicals (hardy palms etc.) here ... some tropical whimsy to counter the winter blahs.... still sorta outside rather than encased in a suburban mall.

In the particular, the terracotta-clad podium would be a stunning backdrop for stuff like Dwarf Palmettos which can survive extreme below zero temps and there's a couple of taller species that can survive below zero temps. 🌴

*Obviously the size of soil volumes needed would come into play with larger species.

Maybe @Northern Light can chime in, but given there's a fair amount of protection from the elements (except extreme cold)... I think it would be fun to have some tropicals (hardy palms etc.) here ... some tropical whimsy to counter the winter blahs.... still sorta outside rather than encased in a suburban mall.

In the particular, the terracotta-clad podium would be a stunning backdrop for stuff like Dwarf Palmettos which can survive extreme below zero temps and there's a couple of taller species that can survive below zero temps. 🌴

*Obviously the size of soil volumes needed would come into play with larger species.

First, let me say, palm trees are well outside of any expertise in trees I may have.

That said, I had a glance through the resources at my finger tips.

It's tough to say, I don''t know what modelled conditions for 'The Well' showed. Absent doors though, I imagine the interior condition would not be much warmer than the surrounding air. Modern lighting gives off very little heat. There's also the question of windchill.

Of larger Palm Species Windmill Palm is among the hardiest, but it's only tolerant to about -15C safely ( might handle -20C briefly) .

Given where our overnight lows can go in January/February, the recommendation would probably be to wrap the tree in burlap through the winter.

It's worth saying, as well, getting a Palm to survive a Toronto winter is plausible, but getting it to retain its leaves through winter is a different matter.

* a further challenge is that younger Palms are less hardy

Not sure you'd get what you're hoping for w/that idea.

You can introduce a fair bit of colour w/native trees/shrubs/grasses. Conifers (evergreen) ; Red Osier Dogwood, Beech Trees which hold their golden fall foliage for much of winter, Birch/Aspen for bright, white/silver bark, some bushes that retain their fruit through much of winter, Christmas Ferns etc.

Last edited:

Back