Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

All gender bathrooms are not ideal for all situations. Try making stadiums with only those and see how long the lines are for everyone to use the bathroom. When a lot of drinking is involved, it's always better to use some space for urinals and let people through faster. And having used all gender bathrooms, I would not want to use them as a woman having to sit on clearly wet seats. No thanks. Everyone should be able to use the bathroom for whatever gender they identify with but it doesn't mean we need to remove gender from everything and change our infrastructure.
Women have told me that toilets are often wet in public washrooms from 'hovering'.

Agreed, but in a lot of smaller venues, it's actually more space-conscious for us to just put a ton of individual small WC's with a shared sink area (or tiny sinks within the individual WC's.) Your point is taken but I don't think anyone is asking for or realistically expecting the building code to eliminate any notion of gender from washrooms entirely.
I was going camping this summer on Lake Huron. I stopped at a Timmies at a busy cross-roads to use the washroom. It only had single-occupant gender neutral washrooms. The line was insane.

Women have told me that toilets are often wet in public washrooms from 'hovering'.
It would be ideal if we had something we can all squat down to for all genders. But I am also in the anecdote that things can get pretty vile for those jurisdictions that do actually have that option...

...but I guess this public bathroom tech business would be another conversation for another thread though.

Agreed, but in a lot of smaller venues, it's actually more space-conscious for us to just put a ton of individual small WC's with a shared sink area (or tiny sinks within the individual WC's.) Your point is taken but I don't think anyone is asking for or realistically expecting the building code to eliminate any notion of gender from washrooms entirely.
It seems a lot of new builds and Renos are aiming for all gender bathrooms though. Went to the AGO recently and the bathrooms were changed to ''bathrooms for everyone''. The stall partitions were so low that someone peeing standing up could look inside the next stall. And the stall I used had a toilet full of menstrual blood. Great experience. All to avoid offending a few people.

All to avoid offending a few people.
I'm not sure I buy this explanation here. I agree, while trans folks make up a very small percentage of the population who would likely use bathrooms they identify with. And likely even a smaller percentage for non-binaries that would likely use whatever. So it seems another more reasonable explanation is more needed for why there is movement towards this type of bathroom. Perhaps there's growing philosophy that we need just to be more comfortable with ourselves, which would include everyone and not just a few. And universal bathrooms is the way to go with that for good or bad.

thumbnail_IMG_0256.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0266.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0258.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0257.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0260.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0264.jpg

It seems a lot of new builds and Renos are aiming for all gender bathrooms though. Went to the AGO recently and the bathrooms were changed to ''bathrooms for everyone''. The stall partitions were so low that someone peeing standing up could look inside the next stall. And the stall I used had a toilet full of menstrual blood. Great experience. All to avoid offending a few people.
In Europe, toilet stalls are much more private with basically floor to ceiling dividers and doors.

Finally got to see the interior today. The public spaces didn't disappoint, but I was less impressed by the retail fit-out, particularly the harsh lighting in some of the stores.

Circulation is a bit weird. Are the only stairs between the first and second floors at the east end near the entrance off Spadina? I took the escalator upstairs and walked west, then found myself at a dead end and had to wait a while for an elevator to take me back to the main floor. Maybe I missed something?

The space felt reasonably lively when I was there at 5:30. There was a performer in angel wings shredding on an electric violin inside a giant bubble with an appreciative crowd watching.

PXL_20231208_223630508.MP.jpg
PXL_20231208_224144859.jpg

PXL_20231208_224218260.jpg

IMG_5659.jpeg
Sweat and Tonic is open. Exercise areas were being used so no pix. Lots of socializing areas and very nice café/lounge on the south side but you must walk through club to get there. I am not their target demographic! Lol
IMG_5658.jpeg
Taken 9 December.

IMG_5660.jpeg
IMG_5661.jpeg

Back