Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Looks like Design Republic is about to open. Taken 23 November.

IMG_5306.jpeg
IMG_5307.jpeg

lets hold off on judement until the market is open. currently unless you like the architecture or design, there really isnt a reason to be there.
Most of the main attractions like arcadia earth arent even open

I don't think that's necessary - first impressions for a project like this are so so so so so important, especially to the average person who isn't into architecture / design.

I am very sympathetic to the fact that the mall is still actively under construction, and a visit to the site will clearly show there is still a good deal of work to do - I expect construction to continue in some way until at least the spring.

I'm just pointing out the fact that it feels like they rushed a ribbon cutting that they weren't really ready for and that they didn't program adequately - maybe they have more planned for the month of December which I look forward to seeing

This space won't really come alive for a few years as it will take time for the mall to find its groove, and that is fine. But in the mean time, fill it with as much interesting programming as you can so that there is a reason for people to check out the space aside from retail / entertainment offerings.

- Lawrence Allen Centre - blech
As someone who frequents Lawrence Allen Centre, I can tell you that the recent renovation to the mall isn't enough to shake off its reputation as the poor man's Yorkdale, especially given its proximity to Yorkdale. I also frequent Yorkdale by passing through Lawrence Allen Centre. Yes, I go to Yorkdale by entering and exiting Lawrence Allen Centre as it is a shortcut for me.

As someone who frequents Lawrence Allen Centre, I can tell you that the recent renovation to the mall isn't enough to shake off its reputation as the poor man's Yorkdale, especially given its proximity to Yorkdale. I also frequent Yorkdale by passing through Lawrence Allen Centre. Yes, I go to Yorkdale by entering and exiting Lawrence Allen Centre as it is a shortcut for me.
Lawrence Allen is really more of a local's mall, with amenities like a Fortino's (good iced capp), a Canadian Tire, and a couple of other middle-tier stores and health services. Certainly not a mall to splash money around, but not a useless mall either.

My thoughts on the Well- the interior galleria is very nice, and the environment were quite pleasant despite the cold winds outside. There were some small spots that were either rushed or will need to be redone later on, like a corner where the paving stones have already sunken in. I also think that the shopping galleria may have opened too soon- I think most people will chance a venture into the place out of curiosity, but when they see there's little to do there, they may not come back for awhile. This may mean that the Well may need to draw people in through other measures, like hosting temporary markets or attractions in the meantime.

I for one won't be back until the spaces are more filled out and the galleria fully opened.

I visited yesterday with my partner, I thought it was cool and refreshing to see such a thing open in Toronto. Sure it's not close to being ready but a breath of fresh air to walk through a car free, open air environment with nice finishes and lighting. Clearly, this will become more appealing as footfall increases with demand and supply of available facilities and more people living in the buildings etc. Only oddity I found was that it didn't appear to have a way down from the top floor to the main floor at the west end. Had to walk back to the east entrance. I'm sure I missed something there. The walk along Wellington on the north side was a treat, with a calm street and properly wide sidewalks. The pizza joint was mobbed so we missed out, unfortunately. I'm thinking in the spring when things are further along and the Blue Jays come back to town or other large events are on, retailers and food hall operators eyes will be lighting up.

I agree it's too premature to determine how things will evolve with time. When I walked through, I could imagine it being pretty busy once the buildings are fully populated. One way or another I think it's a good outcome so far and could see it pulling people towards this section of town.

...I pretty sure those brand named stores are there for the "Oh look, they have a Shoppers! How convenient!" crowd.

Back