Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

I hope they decide to light this building in an interesting way. I have my doubts as it's residential and would likely bother the people who live there, but some spotlights on the staggered floors could be a nice touch..

They could do lighting along the crown and the areas between the windows. This building desperately needs to stand out a little bit from its overwhelming mediocrity.

The base is just hideous. It looks like cheap death. Clunky and ominous. The building will probably be the most successful in the city when it comes to jumping suicides.

This building is easily better looking than most recent projects. I'd say it actually has exceptional massing and form. And how on earth is it trying to be art deco if it has no "decorations"?

The base is right up to the street creating a nice streetwall and looks alright. If it wasn't for the gray, it would look very nice. It's certainly way ahead of any of its neighbors. Have you actually gone to see the building before posting such a ridiculous comment?

This building is easily better looking than most recent projects. I'd say it actually has exceptional massing and form. And how on earth is it trying to be art deco if it has no "decorations"?

The base is right up to the street creating a nice streetwall and looks alright. If it wasn't for the gray, it would look very nice. It's certainly way ahead of any of its neighbors. Have you actually gone to see the building before posting such a ridiculous comment?

I have follow both buildings since day one as well shooting 100's of photos.

It maybe nice they are at street edge for a streetwall, but like I said a few days ago and last year, the base sucks. That black is bad just like it is on the MLS.

When I saw that grey stuff, oh my god, they just made it worst.

I was never impress with Blu and this one was a so so. It still is.

I held back on my view of the upper section until it was complete, but what I saw going up was not nice, but a step up from the square boxes.

I just got back from Berlin, so maybe it's just that I'm sick of the "it's a step up for Toronto!" mentality. It's shit. Other cities are doing 3 times better in less prominent spaces. Here, we focus on the cheap.

Subtle rooftop lighting on the north side now. Looks quite nice though I'm still not sold on the building.

Last edited:
I just got back from Berlin, so maybe it's just that I'm sick of the "it's a step up for Toronto!" mentality. It's shit. Other cities are doing 3 times better in less prominent spaces. Here, we focus on the cheap.

Exactly. The tower just looks like one giant cash grab.

I'm all for builders being greedy, but is there no pride in designing a nice looking building. There's public housing that looks better. Given the pricing and the location, this thing is a huge disappointment.

^ I'm no fan of the project, but you are making a lot of assumptions on income vs expenses in terms of profitability in this vs other projects. Without knowing any details about construction, land, soft costs etc how can you make such an assumption? I've also never understood the 'greed' term - given how much average $psf in the bloor-yorkville sub-market has increased the last 4 or 5 years the buyers that purchased earlier during the pre-sale process will likely make a much high ROI then the developers could hope to achieve should those buyers flip the units on closing - I suppose all the buyers could be described as greedy then as well...

^ I'm no fan of the project, but you are making a lot of assumptions on income vs expenses in terms of profitability in this vs other projects. Without knowing any details about construction, land, soft costs etc how can you make such an assumption? I've also never understood the 'greed' term - given how much average $psf in the bloor-yorkville sub-market has increased the last 4 or 5 years the buyers that purchased earlier during the pre-sale process will likely make a much high ROI then the developers could hope to achieve should those buyers flip the units on closing - I suppose all the buyers could be described as greedy then as well...

My issue is moreso the lack of good design. Greed is everywhere...I don't fault anyone for being greedy, whether it's a builder or a purchaser. The building just looks cheap to me and given the area, it's pretty disappointing.

My issue is moreso the lack of good design. Greed is everywhere...I don't fault anyone for being greedy, whether it's a builder or a purchaser. The building just looks cheap to me and given the area, it's pretty disappointing.

Well I agree with you there - expensive buildings can be well or poorly executed, as can more affordable product.

Well I agree with you there - expensive buildings can be well or poorly executed, as can more affordable product.

I think the windows really kill this building for me. A black frame with maybe a different mullion design would have done a world of difference, IMO....And get rid of the two-tone podium.

Back