Toronto The Uptown Residences | ?m | 48s | Pemberton | Burka

Sorry dude (Jetsback).. this bldg is hideous! It's a disgrace to such a neighbourhood, and one can only pray that 1 Bloor will distract each and every passer-by so no one has to cringe in confusion/disgust over how/why this building was built.

Uptown is ugly....and it would be ugly anywhere else in the world.

I'd much rather have this in Berlin:

30leipzigerstr240407rm8.jpg

cimg3111pd6.jpg

...thhan Uptown. There are good/bad looking buildings all around the world, Uptown fits into the "bad" category. This is strictly my opinion... If that makes me insecure, then so be it.

Not a fan of that, this is a skyscaper forum, and like I said ,.... in the location Uptown stands, in a dense N.A. downtown Uptown is perfect...... Not on the 401, not on the Seine, not even in Cityplace, but here it belongs, .....in a sea of cement and brick and older style towers.This is where you can build this, so it is good design??? Thats my thinking.

This is a skyscraper forum....You want 12 story German apts.....go to that forum.

Clarity check. Urban Toronto was not named Skyscraper Toronto or something similar for a reason. The word "Urban" refers to urbanism. Urbanism as in how the building meets the street. While we all like tall buildings we also discuss buildings that are 12 storeys or even less. All buildings are equally important when it comes to building an urban Toronto. The only thing we don't really do or like is suburban tract housing.

C'mon, Jetsback. With all the beautiful bldg's going up around Tdot recently, (Four Seasons, 1 Bloor, Ritz-Carlton, Absolute in MCC, etc) Uptown is dissapointing.
Hell, even the Regent Park towers look better (in my opinion, anyway).

Uptown = Fail-town!

Last edited:
I was Super excited when they announced this. A slender art deco impressionist tower, with concealed balconies that don't ruin the office tower appeal , well designed. The ability for residential to appear as office will keep skyscraper design moving forward, and from any distance the outlines of this seem to be 30's office tower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uptown may not have been finished with the detail it deserved, but I'm a little mystified by the "hate-on" most people seem to have for this project. I'm still hoping the building will be artfully lit at night to accent its slender silhouette and diminish some of the blandness of the exterior. I still wouldn't call it a fail by any means - any break from our obsession with glass on occasion is a good thing. In any event, as previously observed, it will be just one of a fairly dense cluster in the next few years.

Uptown may not have been finished with the detail it deserved, but I'm a little mystified by the "hate-on" most people seem to have for this project. I'm still hoping the building will be artfully lit at night to accent its slender silhouette and diminish some of the blandness of the exterior. I still wouldn't call it a fail by any means - any break from our obsession with glass on occasion is a good thing. In any event, as previously observed, it will be just one of a fairly dense cluster in the next few years.

Sorry. I only call it a Fail as when I first saw the renderings pop up in the Condo Guide YEARS ago I got so excited b/c I loved deco style. They seemed to cheap out on those details which honestly makes it look like a cement block; almost a modern-day 1960's commie block. Obvi just my opinion still.

I too am growing tired of glass boxes, but if I had to pick between Uptown and Spire/Murano/550 Wellington...well...then..bring on the GLASS BOXES! The funny thing is...which someone already pointed out... You look at Uptown, then just a block away you see 1 St. Thomas and you just have to shake your head. 1 St Thomas is far superior in every way.

1 St Thomas looks much more residential, than Uptown theres little chance of mistaking it for that. While i do think its a beautiful building ( 1ST), the height and massing , make Uptown a better replica of Art Deco towers. Given a few years and the afore mentioned lighting, it will be fine.....and certainly not an eyesore. Geeezz

You look at Uptown, then just a block away you see 1 St. Thomas and you just have to shake your head. 1 St Thomas is far superior in every way.

Can't argue with that, although I think 1ST should have been much taller. In any event, these buildings are not even in the same league.

1 St Thomas looks much more residential, than Uptown theres little chance of mistaking it for that. While i do think its a beautiful building ( 1ST), the height and massing , make Uptown a better replica of Art Deco towers. Given a few years and the afore mentioned lighting, it will be fine.....and certainly not an eyesore. Geeezz

It's art deco in massing/height and that's about it. Which, like I said before, is disappointing.

Agreed, too bad it wasn't more ornate,(Like American Radiator) but with a little lighting and age, she will be fine and certainly not the eyesore that some claim. It's far prettier than the Manulife behemoth, sitting next door.
I feel its been fairly faithful to the renderings and the models, and you knew from day 1 it wasn't going to be Rockefeller Center. Just the psf bracket, meant it wasn't going to be in the league of FS/SL/Trump etc.... The model looks almost exact, and it's the color thats most off from the render. Heres hoping it ages well.

I don't know about pretty, but I would say that Manulife has far more beauty to it than Uptown, especially when viewed from nearby. Manulife gets a lot of the details right, and there's something very powerful about its size, the repeating grid of the facade, the proportions, and even the textures of all of the weathered surfaces. There are some very bold, well-executed gestures there.

Back