Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

Frame is going up above the existing building!

IMG_9429.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9429.JPG
    IMG_9429.JPG
    412.4 KB · Views: 2,735
Last edited by a moderator:
Taken November 12, 2016:

The yellow crane and the vertical steel columns in the distance mark the location of 488U, which will begin to make its presence known on our skyline (as viewed from the southeast). The building under construction in the foreground with the white crane is the St. Michael's Hospital expansion which appears to be nearing its peak.

Last edited:
Thanks OB!. If you're interested, I posted similar type shots today in the threads for The Britt and Yonge & Rich Condos.

how safe this building is?

I am having difficulties understand the logic behind this crazy project?? ' building a high rise on top of a high rise old building'

I am having difficulties understand the logic behind this crazy project?? ' building a high rise on top of a high rise old building'

One can build on an empty lot, tear a building down and build a new building, or one can add floors to an existing building. In this case, only the last 2 options were possible. It was deemed optimal to add floors rather than demolish.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I think the answer you're looking for is how the foundations supporting an 18 storey building are able to handle an additional 37 storeys. In this case much of the foundation was fortified when they closed the parking garage levels to complete the underground work while the concrete grilles on the exterior were being removed. Essentially the existing building is encased in the structural steel cage built upon the new foundations to support the addition above.

Back