Toronto The Pemberton | 215.79m | 68s | Pemberton | a—A

Looks promising, although I'm sure things will change with some inevitable tweaking. Really the most important part is how they conceal the parking garage. And speaking of which, I noticed there isn't a car elevator in the plans. Who on earth is going to want to drive up 6, 7, 8 or even 9 storeys to park their car? That's insane.

Towers and roof seem decent. That massive beefy podium will put 8 Park Road's to shame. Above ground parking seems ridiculous, but I suppose it has to go somewhere.

RC8:

Yorkville (as a neighbourhood) east of Bay is degraded to a point where it probably isn't very fruitful to be overly restrictive. If allowing additional density takes the pressure off the western part of the neighbourhood, so be it.

AoD

Thing is once you build super high density nodes they tend to become family unfriendly areas. Yorkville east of Bay has huge potential to be turned into a family friendly high-rise neighbourhood - and this would be more easily achieved with Cityplace-like densities than what is currently proposed.

I'm also afraid that building all these monsters here may actually be putting more pressure on Yorkville West of Bay, as developers are more likely to point to precedents in the area. Remember how TIFF was supposed to be an exception in the ED?

this area is going to be pretty damn windy with all of the super tall skyscrapers being built or proposed.

Huh? Nothing 1000+ feet has been proposed...not in Yorkville..not in the rest of the city either... I'm confused

Who on earth is going to want to drive up 6, 7, 8 or even 9 storeys to park their car? That's insane.

. Above ground parking seems ridiculous, but I suppose it has to go somewhere.

I think above parking, is part of the deal of this development to maintain a public parking structure, with similar density of what exists there now

RC8:

Thing is once you build super high density nodes they tend to become family unfriendly areas. Yorkville east of Bay has huge potential to be turned into a family friendly high-rise neighbourhood - and this would be more easily achieved with Cityplace-like densities than what is currently proposed.

Yorkville is highly unlikely to become a family friendly neighbourhood just given its' demographics in any case - the products are positioned for the truly luxury market, and family friendly (i.e multiple rooms) units will cost millions, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm also afraid that building all these monsters here may actually be putting more pressure on Yorkville West of Bay, as developers are more likely to point to precedents in the area. Remember how TIFF was supposed to be an exception in the ED?

Maybe, but I think unlike TIFF, there is a very clear delineation between the two sides of Yorkville; besides, if you are talking about precdents in the area, 18 Yorkville and Four Seasons have already set it.

AoD

Last edited:
Rendering from the cover of the submission:

27Yorkville-Copy.jpg

AoD

The height doesn't bother me as it's already there on the north side of the street but that brutal hulking podium wall will crush the intimate street vibe on Yorkville that gives the area character. I realize there's a garage ere now but if you're going to redesign the site step that iceberg way back to the south.

Otherwise the building is boring.

As far as Yorkville being family friendly I believe it totally can be- think Park Avenue and maybe force a few lower income family units on the developer for good variety.

Height shouldn't be an issue given the location. The towers themselves are totally forgettable. Hopefully the podium/parking garage will be handled elegantly, but I have no problem with it being a "hulking" presence, as puny podiums often create an almost suburban "tower-in-the park" feeling reminiscent of Mississauga or North York. I appreciate the urbanity of large podiums or towers that are built right out to the lot lines because they create strong streetwalls and a sense of density rather than empty space.

Height shouldn't be an issue given the location. The towers themselves are totally forgettable. Hopefully the podium/parking garage will be handled elegantly, but I have no problem with it being a "hulking" presence, as puny podiums often create an almost suburban "tower-in-the park" feeling reminiscent of Mississauga or North York. I appreciate the urbanity of large podiums or towers that are built right out to the lot lines because they create strong streetwalls and a sense of density rather than empty space.

I strongly disagree. This is Yorkville Avenue. Not Yonge Street, Bloor Street or Avenue Road. You need to sacredly protect the energy on the ground. That's what gives the area it's character. Look no further than 50 Yorkville for a evidence of what will work here.

Btw, this discussion is mostly academic at this point as the market has run out of gas for this cycle so whatever you see today may significantly change to meet the new market reality.

Back