Toronto The Pemberton | 215.79m | 68s | Pemberton | a—A

CN Tower:

I strongly disagree. This is Yorkville Avenue. Not Yonge Street, Bloor Street or Avenue Road. You need to sacredly protect the energy on the ground. That's what gives the area it's character. Look no further than 50 Yorkville for a evidence of what will work here.

That's the side of Yorkville without the sacred energy, if it was I would have agreed with you.

AoD

I strongly disagree. This is Yorkville Avenue. Not Yonge Street, Bloor Street or Avenue Road. You need to sacredly protect the energy on the ground. That's what gives the area it's character. Look no further than 50 Yorkville for a evidence of what will work here.

Maybe it's just me, but the character and energy on Yorkville Ave. east of Bay is completely different than on Yorkville Ave. west of Bay. The street on which this project fronts is actually quite lacking in either. There's nothing there to protect.

I'm not sure why you're citing 50 Yorkville (aka the Four Seasons) as an example of what you'd like to see in the alternative, given that it's also a massive tower that is built right to the lot line in addition to having a hulking podium. Are you suggesting that the Four Seasons is consistent with the energy and character of the rest of Yorkville? On the contrary, I'd argue that it's hugely responsible for creating a new energy east of Bay Street which is characterized by strong streetwalls.

Ramako:

Nope, it isn't just you, the dichotomy is quite distinct. Let's put this way, think about just what is there in Yorkville neighbourhood, east of Bay and north of Bloor, particularly before Four Seasons and 18 Yorkville got built, and the condition of the structures in the area?

And yes, the impact of Four Seasons (and 18 Yorkville) is huge - it pretty much eliminated an entire block of extant structures (leaving only Yorkville Branch of TPL and TFS fire station, plus maybe an old building or two at the NE corner of the block). This project is more like a limited mid-block development in comparison. If there is anything worth preserving/restoring in the area, it is probably the 3s strip on Yonge between Yorkville and Cumberland.

AoD

Last edited:
Here is a detailed map with heights of the Yorkville neighborhood from the accompanying documentation:

ScreenShot008.jpg

and here is the same map with building heights over 100m indicated by colour. The SE of the Bloor/Yonge intersection is not included, notably missing are 1 Bloor East (old Basis design on map) and Casa II.

ScreenShot008a.jpg

The SE of the Bloor/Yonge intersection is not included, notably missing are 1 Bloor East (old Basis design on map) and Casa II.

The approved building height still applies to Great Gulf's 1BE. The purpose of the map is to show what the approved building heights are in the area for context related to the 27 Yorkville application. Casa II isn't shown as it has not received final approval yet (ie. By-law passed, post-OMB hearing).

Then why is 50 Bloor included?

Good point, I stand corrected on it being a map of approved/built projects only. I was responding to Mongo statement that 1BE was missing, when the approved height it is clearly shown.

Last edited:
The twisting bands of the cladding seem to intergrate into the towers structural elements where it connects at the podium. This project appears very high end.

I doubt they're structural. Perhaps they function as sun screens? It's a bit fussy and needs cleaned up. Or take the "veins" and make 'em more vain, aka really make 'em shine and the standout feature of the building connecting to the ground &/or as part of the structure. They could wrap over or join at the top to create a roof structural element tying the entire building together. Like how the S&M straps on Theatre Park wrap around the "body" of that tower here the veins could flow from the roof to the ground.

Right now the podium is disconnected from the tower--needs a unified feel.

Edit: Here's a quick sketch showing what I mean:

ideanote1001.jpg

Last edited:
It's frankly a rather lovely looking tower concept, the meandering vertical swaths overlaid on the balcony fronts. When it comes to function, however, I wonder who would buy a suite in this complex with one of those ornamental elements slicing up a precious view. This all seems to me like the "back of napkin" part of this project's evolution. But who knows, maybe the architect has something translucent in mind for the vertical decor. Whatever material is used must be able to shed dirt and dust easily, too. Think about that.

This twin towered project could end up losing the vertical ornamentation, and we could be looking at the towers without the decor. Or maybe they'll find a different type of decor? It's an admirable attempt.

The podium is a rather nasty disconnect. This project meets the street terribly.

I don't like the podium on this building. We are in the process of sterilizing Yorkville. One of the coolest features of Yorkville was the haphazard European street mall feel of the area. That's now changing to stark square podiums which will not be either exciting or interesting. I think it's very sad for Yorkville to become just another downtown neighborhood. I for one feel that the character and nature of Yorkville should be preserved.

Back