Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Personally, I'd rather have the atrium be kept free of obstructions. I imagine standing in that space would be quite something.

Some may have noticed that the south skyline renderings in the dataBase entry for The One - and they happen to be the second rendering, and the second last rendering, did not include One Bloor East in them.

I now have updated renderings from Mizrahi that do include One Bloor East alongside The One, so those two images have been replaced for anyone who would like to see those.

Personally, I'd rather have the atrium be kept free of obstructions. I imagine standing in that space would be quite something.

It would be a kind of 'off centre' obstruction, given the location of the atrium vis-a-vis the diagrids. To be bit of a devil's advocate, this instance of obstruction did come to mind:

img1.jpg

(from F+P)

AoD

Attachments

• img1.jpg
    img1.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 1,396
The One 2!

That would explain the weirdness going on on the west side of the podium if they are going to attach this to The One 2.

The One 2 should be even taller, right? Like a super, duper tall! Take that Asia.

Interesting thought - perhaps Mizrahi owns that land as well but doesn't want it included in any negotiations with the city now. Makes a great deal of sense.

I don't think there is any likelihood that a tower west of The One would be taller - there is probably a good chance he owns it but will develop it after the first tower is done and will try to get it as tall or slightly shorter - just a guess. He did say he wanted to emulate Rockefeller Center didn't he?

Press release from F+P - only two previously seen renderings:

Press Release 12.03.2015

Designs were unveiled in Toronto yesterday for ‘The One’, an 80-storey mixed-use tower on a prominent downtown site at One Bloor West, which pioneers a new model of vertical retail in the city. Rising to 318 metres, it will be Toronto’s second tallest building and combines a residential tower with a retail base, which is integrated with the city’s underground pedestrian ‘PATH’ network.

The base comprises nine levels of shops, cafes and restaurants, arranged around a soaring 60-metre atrium. A flexible ‘urban room’ is elevated two storeys above the street, protected from the weather and accessed by two express escalators. The apartments are reached via a glass bridge at level 12, and incorporate winter-gardens with panoramic city views. In contrast to the typical glass residential tower with shallow balconies, the façade is characterised by warm metallic tones and a distinctive bronze exoskeleton frame, which transforms as the tower rises to articulate the change in function.

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/news/archive/2015/03/designs-revealed-for-‘the-one’-in-toronto/

AoD

Rising to 318 metres, it will be Toronto’s second tallest building and combines a residential tower with a retail base, which is integrated with the city’s underground pedestrian ‘PATH’ network.

Three possibilities I can think of:

1. 90% likelihood in my opinion : They are counting the CN Tower as a building.

2. 9% likelihood in my opinion : Somebody goofed.

3. 1% likelihood in my opinion : They are aware of an even taller proposal still under wraps. Or possibly an actively worked version of Oxford Place with a single 326m tower.

Last edited:
Yep, they're likely counting the CN Tower. Mizrahi even mentioned in the meeting yesterday that it would be the tallest building after the CN Tower.

Mizrahi said the underground parking entrance will be off of Balmuto, but I'm not sure how that's going to work with Scotiabank in the way.

The clearest clue yet that this is only phase 1.
Parking entrance will be coming in from Phase 2.

On comments that OBE west facing owners are now crying. The same can be said of Phase 1 owners when Mizrahi announce phase 2.

Figures, both Tory and KWT were both interviewed this afternoon on TV, and none seemed too excited with this development, both saying that the developer has to go through the proper channels to get approval,..oh well payback is a bitch

This is why I oppose removing Toronto from the jurisdiction of the OMB. The city has difficulty managing development properly, equitably and in a timely manner. Providing a demolition permit and then criticizing the developer for acting on it and intending to designate another building at the last minute, long after the developer's intentions were known regarding the block, that's just irrational. And it would be just as irrational for Tory and KWT to continue to be miffed for having lost a building of dubious value.

Mizrahi has made his bed and must lie in it. Is this payback? The city will never say so, but Mizrahi can't just wish away this listed building.

The city is perfectly within its rights to study designation of this building to see if it meets provincial criteria for designation, just like technically Mizrahi was acting within his rights to take crowbars to the most historically distinctive aspects of the Stollery's building before ripping it apart. For those thinking the city is acting poorly, you can't have it both ways.

Ahh I'm conflicted. I'd say I'm in the 'build it now' category but I did not like the way they went about demolishing Stollery's and the Hue's Kitchen Building is something I would want to see preserved but in this case the proposal would be a worthy replacement.

Is there anyway we could make Mizrahi 'pay' for the what he did (or rather the way in which he did it) and still get the tower? Section 37 perhaps?

Mizrahi has made his bed and must lie in it. Is this payback? The city will never say so, but Mizrahi can't just wish away this listed building.

The city is perfectly within its rights to study designation of this building to see if it meets provincial criteria for designation, just like technically Mizrahi was acting within his rights to take crowbars to the most historically distinctive aspects of the Stollery's building before ripping it apart. For those thinking the city is acting poorly, you can't have it both ways.

And thank God we have the OMB!

Back