Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Was the finish on the cross bracing discussed? It almost looks like a dull bronze coloured metal, which would be really cool. The only part I don't like about this is the weird stacked blocks on the west side.

There's something similar on the south side as well.

I'm trying to see which stacked blocks you're referring to. You mean on the side of the H&M?

Yes, they seem a bit awkward and haphazard. I think it would look better if that section was just a truncated version of the full tower.

Re the "heritage" thing: funny how everyone's still dwelling on Stollery's when there's other affected and actually *listed* properties down the Yonge block...

I did reference Hue - though I think now that we've seen what the proposal, arguing for keeping it in situ appears a lot less appropriate.

Yes, they seem a bit awkward and haphazard. I think it would look better if that section was just a truncated version of the full tower.

That section is a lot narrower than the tower - using diagrid there would meant the angles would be different. Not sure how aesthetically pleasing that would be.

AoD

Last edited:
Bravo!

Some random thoughts...

- The lighting of this building at night looks absolutely spectacular, emphasizing as it does the diamond pattern. It will announce this intersection from afar!

- For those who are worried about icons, why? M/G have that more than covered in their design. This design fits Yorkville and Bloor/Yonge perfectly, and like the area it is luxe and makes a definite statement.

- This design provides a nice counterpart to 1 Bloor East across the street. Its lines are in sharp contrast to 1 Bloor's curves, and the podiums offer contrasting ways of enlivening their respective corners. Perfect.

Lots of other things to like including the structure/exo-skelton and the way it meets the street, the widened sidewalks here, the beautiful atrium, the bronze colour, and on and on.... and it's a supertall to boot!

Nooooo, the EAST side of One Bloor East. They are probably thinking that was the better exposure for unobstructed views from higher up floors. Yes, the west side is screwed.

Some street level pics & more.

View attachment 42699

Does anyone else feel like the section to the west of the tower (the one containing the elevators and the sky bridge to the tower itself) is designed with a 2nd tower on the Scotiabank site in mind? I can't help but feel like it's being set up to be the wedge in between two towers.

EDIT: Sorry, saw that that was already brought up on the subsequent page. So many posts happening so quickly, it's hard to keep up! Haha.

Last edited:
TheTigermaster isn't exaggerating when he says that Mizrahi spent 15 minutes BSing about the Stollerys stone though.

He didn't have much choice given how ruffled some old hens were. You never know with Toronto these little things can just mushroom! I say just GIVE the damn stollery stones to the biggest whiners.

He didn't have much choice given how ruffled some old hens were. You never know with Toronto these little things can just mushroom! I say just GIVE the damn stollery stones to the biggest whiners.

I understand the nostalgia... I'm verklempt when I see the Guv being torn down due to so many years and so many memories made there for me.

However, progress is progress, and what will replace both is ultimately better for the city.

The nostalgia surrounding Stollery's makes me laugh though.. I didn't know anyone could have nostalgia for ca. 1970s British retailing...

4752184668957b020542a34d34782c4e.jpg

That section is a lot narrower than the tower - using diagrid there would meant the angles would be different. Not sure how aesthetically pleasing that would be.

It seems like it's almost exactly the same width actually. I don't know, it's just idle fantasy.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 1.00.54 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 1.00.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 1.00.54 AM.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 1,267
Here\'s some more photos from the consultation last night. I\'ll have even more up later.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I believe this is Peter Stollery:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Harry Rosen:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0532.JPG
    DSC_0532.JPG
    994.7 KB · Views: 1,501
  • DSC_0529.JPG
    DSC_0529.JPG
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 1,485
  • DSC_0520.JPG
    DSC_0520.JPG
    926.1 KB · Views: 1,465
  • DSC_0483.JPG
    DSC_0483.JPG
    971.3 KB · Views: 1,482
  • DSC_0472.JPG
    DSC_0472.JPG
    679.8 KB · Views: 1,471
  • DSC_0466 (1).JPG
    DSC_0466 (1).JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 1,455
  • DSC_0417.JPG
    DSC_0417.JPG
    748.8 KB · Views: 1,434
Last edited:
It seems like it's almost exactly the same width actually. I don't know, it's just idle fantasy.

View attachment 42708

This looks a thousand times better (and much more elegant).

A huge thank you for all those who have reported on the night's proceedings and posted pictures. Its all appreciated. I think we were all informed much better than if we were simply relying on the press for details.

Back