Toronto The Mercer | 111.55m | 33s | Beaverhall | BBB

Darn, it does look exactly like Boutique doesn't it ...

That's not such a terrible thing ... if anything it looks like it's be an improved Boutique ... but I'd expect meh overal

At about $700 a square foot for pre-construction, this is not a cheap building to buy into.

I think this is a significant step down from Boutique. I'm not of a fan of the top heaviness or in general when the penthouse floors deviate just for the sake of it, the token cornice, or the repetitive podium to fill in the rest of the site. It reminds me of something but I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Maybe a little Village at High Park.

Maybe I'm unrealistic and overly picky but, I really think separating the podium and creating individual boutique mid-rise would add a whole new element.

Last edited:
I think this is a significant step down from Boutique. I'm not of a fan of the top heaviness or in general when the penthouse floors deviate just for the sake of it, the token cornice, or the repetitive podium to fill in the rest of the site. It reminds me of something but I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Maybe a little Village at High Park.

Maybe I'm unrealistic and overly picky but, I really think separating the podium and creating individual boutique mid-rise would add a whole new element.

Definitely a good suggestion to separate the podium for that added dimension and street-level presence. The building renderings/lobby/suite layout/amenities are definitely boring and reminds me of a building that belongs in Etobicoke or Scarborough... if I could afford $750+/sf I'd rather buy at 1Bloor.

You've probably seen this render...

MercerDayRendering.jpg

but here are some new renders for 8 Mercer:

The Lobby

Mercerlobby.jpg

So, they're going with an elegant, restful, classic look here, modern but with the warmth of wood, as opposed to a dazzled-by-metallics look that some condos are going for these days: this project is looking for a slightly more mature, established buyer.

The second floor Recreation Facilities

Mercer2ndFloorRecreation.jpg

Again, definitely a more traditional look: more Forest Hill drawing room than, say, Barcelona Pavilion.

The podium's Rooftop Courtyard

MercerRooftopCourtyard.jpg

Formal planting style in the garden too, and peristyle edges to complete the traditional look. From this angle though, the tower is contemporary.

And finally a plan of the podium rooftop facilities:

MercerRooftop.jpg

Interesting to note here, the theatre is located at the west end of the podium roof in its own pavilion, and can be approached through the rooftop garden, or from a staircase from podium floors below. In good weather, the garden could provide a rather grand entrance for a gathering in the theatre: one does not usually expect to first go outside to go back in again in complexes like this!

Last edited:
Spire is not alone, I cannot see the images as well. Based on the image captions though, good stuff!

Went to the sales centre. Definitely going for an older crowd - between 40-60. Very "classic" looking and far too boring for the younger crowd - think of the Ritz-Carlton (same developer) crowd but poorer. IMO I like the exterior even if it is a little pedestrian, it's the interiors that are underwhelming. Also, at this price point I don't think it's worth it.

Whoops! Well, obviously they are fixed now. Cheers!

Went to the sales centre. Definitely going for an older crowd - between 40-60. Very "classic" looking and far too boring for the younger crowd - think of the Ritz-Carlton (same developer) crowd but poorer. IMO I like the exterior even if it is a little pedestrian, it's the interiors that are underwhelming. Also, at this price point I don't think it's worth it.

Kind of an odd assessment. I can find you a bunch of younger people who would go for the "classic" look to things, and easily find people in the 40-60 crowd who are very likely to be attracted to what you think only the "younger" crowd are all into. As anyone in their 40's, 50's and even 60's will tell you, they certainly didn't grow up in any kind of classical era. Far from it, in fact.

As for the buyer being of the "poorer" crowd, 700 bucks a square foot ain't cheap for this.

Finally, regarding the rendering of 8 Mercer and any comparisons, Boutique is better looking building in my opinion.

Is it just me or did they mix up their east and west elevations in the City report? Either that or north and south elevations are mixed-up.

very bland...looks like something you'd find in some small suburb.

The pricing is 1 Bloor-ish...that's not a good thing.

Back