Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

For reference sake, here is the payout to residents of the Kenson apt. building which was displaced by the new Women's College Hospital

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The Tenant Assistance Plan:
Each tenant receiving notice of termination will be given 150 days notice,
three months equivalent cash pay out, return of last months rent, $500
moving expenses and all applicable interest on deposit together with the
following:
Tenants who are in occupancy of their units for the following lengths of
time will be provided with the following additional compensation:
One Year and Greater – will be given one additional month rent free;
Between 5 and 10 years – will be given two additional months rent free;
and
Greater than 10 years – will be given nine months rent free, and shall
receive a “top-up” payment equal to the difference in the current monthly
market rent of such unit within the building minus the actual amount of
monthly rent paid by the tenant multiplied by 12 months (or by a lesser
number of months if the tenant vacates their unit after September 1, 2009
but before January 31, 2010).
Tenants who depart prior to notice of termination being given shall not
receive the compensation package or the moving allowance.

If they are indeed doing this, then things are different.

It is not a requirement of the RTA that landlords replace rental units when they convert to condos....they just have to follow the guidelines as to notices and compensation. If the City has bylaws pertaining to this (which I don't think they do regarding non-affordable housing), then it may be as you say, a special arrangement regarding this specific project. The Ward Councillor may have fought for this on behalf of the existing tenants.

If they are providing rental units with the condo project, then the RTA rules come into effect for the previous tenants. Quoted from the RTA.....

The landlord can apply for an above guideline rent increase if the capital costs are substantial (and in this case I would imagine it would be)...but it can't be any more than 3% over and above the guideline.

But this is all a bit tricky, as who is going to be the landlord? Couldn't be the Condo Corp. So the developer must have to purchase individual units for the purpose of renting. But there's no requirement in the RTA that the owner do this. So if this is true, it must be a special deal the City negotiated with the developer to gain approval for the project for the benefit of the existing tenants.

It was my understanding that in this project, in addition to the added floors on the current structure, there was going to be a smaller, rental, building built onsite.

Two Yorkville Hotels closing within two months of each other.

Interesting, timing.

I don't see it ... one being replaced by the new four seasons and the sutton place bought out by developers.

I don't see it ... one being replaced by the new four seasons and the sutton place bought out by developers.

Dont forget this hotel tower in the works........http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...on-Hotel-redev-Freed-Developments-seeking-28s)

89 AVENUE RD
Site Plan Approval 12 146417 STE 27 SA Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Mar 30, 2012 Application Submitted Mar 30, 2012 --- Tamir, Oren
(416) 392-7349
site plan approval applicatio to construct new - mixed use - commercial / hotel and residential building 28 storey building - with 6 storey building at rear - 3 storey common podium - 37 residential units - 53 parking spaces - 3 levels below grade parking

Planning Application - Community Consultation Meeting - May 29th

City Of Toronto - Sutton.jpg

Attachments

• City Of Toronto - Sutton.jpg
    City Of Toronto - Sutton.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 361

Four Seasons Hotel - Closed in April
Sutton Place Hotel - Closed in May

2 former Hotels, now closed. Just funny a coincidence, that I noted.

The circumstance surrounding their closings irrelevant.

All those Mercs and Beamers constantly streaming in and out must have be there for something else then.

The conference facilities and the public underground parking serve the neighbouring offices but the hotel ain't what it once was.

The Primrose is little more than a dormitory. I'd count on a redevelopment proposal for that one too should the condo market remain strong.

The conference facilities and the public underground parking serve the neighbouring offices but the hotel ain't what it once was.

The Primrose is little more than a dormitory. I'd count on a redevelopment proposal for that one too should the condo market remain strong.

but the question is....will the condo market remain strong??

What I've heard is The Primrose offers several floors for students from September to June but the rest of the building operates as a regular hotel and as a full hotel during the summer months.

Back