Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

Yet another ugly building by Lanterra, no doubt same facing as their other buildings on Bay st.

It's very frustrating that concrete modernism is disappearing (almost under attack like Victorians and such were, about 50-60 years ago).

Lanterra could have bought retro furniture, and create as someone put it earlier in this thread a "Mad Men" look, and really respect the Sutton Place's heritage and the fact that it's very much "of its time". But instead they are going to redevelop this good 1967 design into a mediocre 2012 design. I don't see what the benefit is to the public. All I see is a benefit to the developer, of potentially making an easier profit marketing something that reeks of newness. I understand it, I understand that they want to make a profit, but I don't like it. :(

It's very frustrating that concrete modernism is disappearing (almost under attack like Victorians and such were, about 50-60 years ago).

Lanterra could have bought retro furniture, and create as someone put it earlier in this thread a "Mad Men" look, and really respect the Sutton Place's heritage and the fact that it's very much "of its time". But instead they are going to redevelop this good 1967 design into a mediocre 2012 design. I don't see what the benefit is to the public. All I see is a benefit to the developer, of potentially making an easier profit marketing something that reeks of newness. I understand it, I understand that they want to make a profit, but I don't like it. :(

+1

Also annoying by Lanterra was the press release that was quoted in the Star article: "In a press release, the developer vowed that the reborn Sutton Place will “renew and revitalize the character of the neighbourhood.”"

Ummm...so Lanterra is saying that their own developments Murano and Burano, which are two short blocks away are crap?

Ummm...so Lanterra is saying that their own developments Murano and Burano, which are two short blocks away are crap?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much ;-)

In a few decades there will be a new generation of up and coming architects and historians cursing our names for disposing with buildings like the DuBois building and this one, like we do with those who disposed of the Temple Building, the Armouries and the old Toronto Star Building.. :(

This needs to stay.

If anyone knows how to find out when the neighbourhood consultation is for this project, PLEASE NOTIFY US!

If anyone knows how to find out when the neighbourhood consultation is for this project, PLEASE NOTIFY US!

why? so we can all go and waste our valuable time making comments that fall on deaf ears? no one has the guts to stand up to lanterra those guys get away with a lot.

why? so we can all go and waste our valuable time making comments that fall on deaf ears? no one has the guts to stand up to lanterra those guys get away with a lot.

I don't know about conversions but with new developments community input does not fall on deaf ears, at least not in Ward 27. Example, there is a "working group" with Lanterra's controversial 501 Yonge project that has had two meetings so far with three or four more to go.

Exactly! To say that it will fall on deaf ears is not productive and is definitely not going to make any change. If everyone in this city had that attitude, ThomasJ, things would be a fair bit worse.

You know, I was never a fan of the Sutton Place or other concrete buildings of its era in general, but I'm extremely uncomfortable with this trend to have them erased from our landscape as they are visual reminders of an important period in Toronto's development history when it made the dramatic leap from dilapidated Victorian provincial city to international modern metropolis. Revisionist history is so tasteless.

I don't know about conversions but with new developments community input does not fall on deaf ears, at least not in Ward 27. Example, there is a "working group" with Lanterra's controversial 501 Yonge project that has had two meetings so far with three or four more to go.

good point! if they can fix that beast of a proposal (501 yonge) then is good news.

great blog post! Interesting, quite a few people were worried that we were getting too many new hotel rooms, with the addition of the 'big four' - Ritz Carlton,Trump, Four Seasons & Shangri-La - but when you subtract out the old Four Seasons and now the Sutton Place, the total hotel rooms added to TO's inventory will be very small.....mostly it just results in an upgrade of quality..

What are hotel occupancy rates like in Toronto these days? Is the industry doing well or struggling?

You know, I was never a fan of the Sutton Place or other concrete buildings of its era in general, but I'm extremely uncomfortable with this trend to have them erased from our landscape as they are visual reminders of an important period in Toronto's development history when it made the dramatic leap from dilapidated Victorian provincial city to international modern metropolis. Revisionist history is so tasteless.

Toronto's still dilapidated.

Back