Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

That old building on Front is really indeed of some restoration, I'm sure it'd look great after !

The building next door is the Dixon Building and is extremely rare for it's cast iron facade from the 1870's. The Second Empire facade was entirely pre-fabricated and 'applied' to the building - a plaque on the front notes the manufacturer which I believe was the old St. Lawrence Foundry. Its a beautiful instance where economy, industry and art worked together to create something pretty spectacular.

... and a good example of how the Victorians missed the structural potential for using metal frameworks in architecture, seeing it primarily as a decorative material ... and retarding the advent of Modernism for decades.

metal framework was used in architecture throughout the 19th-century - they just had the inclination to cover it up when it was used outside purely industrial programming, and had a different idea as to when metal was appropriate and when it was not. It was fairly soon after this facade that the first 'modernists' began building metal skyscrapers in Chicago, dressed up as faux-columns.

*And as a side note, I'm personally quite thrilled they retarded the rise of modernism - they were no where near capable at the time of doing it any justice.

Well, architects such as Joseph Paxton and Alexander Jackson Davis certainly showed the way, but they didn't make the leap - Paxton produced some hideous faux monstrosities for the Rothschilds in England and France, for instance, and the ghastly Temple Building's as good an example as any of how Toronto architects could be as silly as the rest of them in making metal-supported buildings look as if the masonry cladding was holding them up.

This morning:

88sEe.jpg

BQVDX.jpg

When it's finished, this building will be one of the most sought after in the city. Does anyone know what the projected completion date is? When are people set to start moving in? Has anyone heard anything?

When it's finished, this building will be one of the most sought after in the city. Does anyone know what the projected completion date is? When are people set to start moving in? Has anyone heard anything?

Hey FutureBuilder, I'm slated to move into the 5th floor at the end of April and they have until Dec. 31st to possibly move that date back. They are almost at the halfway point (6th floor) and making some great progress but I think my move-in date will be pushed to July/August.

For the record, Concert has the best customer service I've ever encountered (even compared to Great Gulf). I'm very curious to see the materials and quality knowing this will be their flagship Toronto condo.

I have a really good feeling about this one. I think it will turn out well.
In hindsight I really wish I bought here, I remember the prices being pretty reasonable considering the location and relative exclusivity of a mid-rise, high end building. Unfortunately I was (still am) too much of a west sider to take the plunge. But there's always 88 Scott!

awesome vantage point there Caltrane... I'm looking forward to framing up some postcard shots from there once L and Berczy are completed.

My last letter says March 30 for 3rd floor...Im guessing labour Day. Any update on the street level retail down Church? Restuarants? Bars? Man from UNCLE headquarters?

Back