Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

Pic taken Oct 6, 2012

uXALM.jpg

Sorry about the crappy Iphone Panorama shot (chopped moving objects), but still looking good. I believe they are pouring columns on the 7th floor this week. I like this vantage point with L Tower getting close to the top. It sneaks into the photo between the Gooderham building and the Berczy.

photo10n.jpg

Attachments

• photo10.jpg
    photo10.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 183
A new classic postcard view emerges... but good god, is there anywhere in Toronto that is worthy of some decent streetscaping?

A new classic postcard view emerges... but good god, is there anywhere in Toronto that is worthy of some decent streetscaping?

There was investment in landscaping on Front Street from Wellington to about St. Lawrence Market not that long ago, but it wasn't enough. This vista is arguably the city's most iconic, yet it is still marred by those generic yellow street lights, too much asphalt and concrete paving, and underwhelming landscaping like these median planters whose retaining walls look like something sourced from a big-box store. The historicist street lights ironically don't look very historical at all with their large glass lanterns containing massive modern lighting units, and they don't contribute much historical atmosphere to the streetscape.

There was investment in landscaping on Front Street from Wellington to about St. Lawrence Market not that long ago, but it wasn't enough. This vista is arguably the city's most iconic, yet it is still marred by those generic yellow street lights, too much asphalt and concrete paving, and underwhelming landscaping like these median planters whose retaining walls look like something sourced from a big-box store. The historicist street lights ironically don't look very historical at all with their large glass lanterns containing massive modern lighting units, and they don't contribute much historical atmosphere to the streetscape.

^I agree with all your points. There is so much potential in this area. You can't get much more of a central 'touristy' area in Toronto, if ever there was one... and this is how it looks. Is it any wonder that some people come to Toronto and find it less than beautiful (I'm thinking of Anthony Bourdain as an example).

If I recall correctly, the portion above is a partial rebuild of the structure that stood at the south end of the site. I believe they're using salvaged brick.

Streetview

Correct this was original look that is be incorporated
Oct 26 2010 c.jpg
51-61Front-1.jpg

Attachments

• Oct 26 2010 c.jpg
    Oct 26 2010 c.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 51-61Front-1.jpg
    51-61Front-1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 341
Given its fairly low overall height, the Berczy will not impact the skyline view from the east to any significant degree, except from grade level. This photo, taken October 6, 2012 from the 27th floor of 33 Mill Street (Pure Spirits), all you can spot is the yellow crane when the building was already up to the 5th or 6th floor. You might consider this the “BEFORE” shot. It will be interesting to see how the building complements the view from the east as it continues to rise. The tapered back upper floors should add some visual interest from this vantage point.

IMG_0310.jpg

In the photo below, taken October 20, 2012, you can just make out the 6th (or is it the 7th) floor peeking out over the rooftop of the buildings on the east side of Church Street. I’ll post updates as the building progresses upward.

IMG_0432.jpg

it will once it clears that triangular building on the Esplanade height-wise...

fantastic pics above! The autumn colours sure liven up the view!

photo 1-1.jpg
photo 2-1.jpg
photo 3-1.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 293
  • photo 2-1.jpg
    photo 2-1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 293
  • photo 3-1.jpg
    photo 3-1.jpg