Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

8 September 2012: Good modern architecture could compete with a century old building next door. This one won't. That's sad.

20120908155442.jpg

20120908155533.jpg

No need to 'compete' with older architecture. Sometimes it is more fitting to fit in.

Modern architecture need not compete with older architecture just by being beside it - it's often best when it complements it, as KMPB's additions to the tank houses did at the Distillery to turn them into the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, or as DSAI's additions to the ensemble at the Brick Works have, or as HP's expansion of the Pape Danforth Library have also shown what can be done to create harmony across architectural eras. There's no reason that The Berczy could not have been executed in a modern style – one that did not detract from the neighbourhood's heritage, but could actually have complemented it – but that's obviously not what Concert wanted here, so they asked Young + Wright for a multi-corniced pile that apes the hoi polloi's general notions of historic architecture. It's not a disaster, but oh well, what a prime spot this would have been for a beautiful, clean, and complementary contemporary design.

That old building on Front is really indeed of some restoration, I'm sure it'd look great after !

It`s far too early to draw conclusions. They`re only on the concrete. Let`s give it some time (and actually see what the finished product) looks like.

Sept 12: (been wanting to post this for 5 hours and havent had the balls til now because of a malware warning from google chrome...the warning is still showing up for the record)

vf01I.jpg

^Also got that message about this site being malicious. I ignored it, not sure if that was a good idea or not, but so far no issues I have noticed.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Began late yesterday. I'm on Safari and it got annoying real fast. Turned off the malicious website warning in prefs and it's gone away. Not a perfect solution, that's for sure.

Thanks for the photo.
This one has really taken a long time to get above ground level - and it's been damn hard to get a good picture of, too.
But at least so far in the picture above it looks good, and fills out the corner nicely. I think the concrete looks great. It's the perhaps-fussy cladding that the renders show that worry me. We shall see!

Likely everyone has been having the same issue.
I'm willing to bet its related to the spam that's been filling up these boards (and my phone with notifications) lately.

Yea its the adbot spam posts. Confirmed by UT. As long as we don't click them we are safe

Back