Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

... brings new meaning to the term 'hip-sters' (as in 'replacement').

The York Quay Neighbourhood Association celebrates it's win by hosting an upbeat party. Tea and crumpets were catered specifically for the event (Ambulances were also on standby).

yqna_party_at_ulla_s_lhd4.jpg

Without a word of a lie, my mom used to tell me: in a cage match between a bunch of testosterone-laden males versus a bunch of menopausal and post-menopausal women, always bet on the latter.

More seriously this is nimbyism at work, and it's seriously bullshit. So, a height reduction from 75 to 68 storeys, like, wow, I hope they're proud of their accomplishment. In my opinion, when you buy a view in Toronto, you don't get it for keeps, you simply aren't entitled to that privilege.

I hope this group gets overridden. Go 90 storeys here, for all I care. It's a glamourous site for that sort of thing -- better than almost anywhere in this city.

How does their view improve? They can't see over 75 floors, but can see over a 65?

They look validated because someone listened to them - making a difference and building self esteem.

At 68 floors it would still be 10 more than the L Tower, and will add to the skyline if the design is exceptional. However, it's hard to see the height reduction as a " victory ".

Taken from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I don't think even towerheads really want a 75, or 85, or 95 storey condo here. So close to the lake, it would stick out like a twig. A little bit of restraint in this area could go a long way.

Taken from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I don't think even towerheads really want a 75, or 85, or 95 storey condo here. So close to the lake, it would stick out like a twig. A little bit of restraint in this area could go a long way.

If it is built it is pretty much right across the Gardner from Ice East, at 67 stories which is rising right now. It is just west of two proposed 70 story towers. In the immediate backdrop are the still higher towers of the CBD. Stick out like a twig???

There may be good arguments for dropping the height but yours doesn't sound like one of them. The fact that there may in the end be four towers of very similar height in a small span is a problem. I think the aesthetics would be improved one did "stick out like a twig."

The funny part to the group photos, a number of them worked with me on the the QQ & Cherry St projects and are now talking a different tune.

One of them represents the BIA that is calling for more business support in the area, yet says there is too much density with these projects now.

They were in fact calling for more parking spaces for the tower that goes opposite what is taking place now. Tidal wants 40%, as too many spaces are going empty in a lot of the current new development now. There are signs or notices up for renting spaces in these new builds now.

If you want to deal with traffic and gridlock, you have to start at the root of the problems and that is parking and the standards for them. Cities were built for people, not cars and time to go back doing this. Europe is already doing this now with some places doing more than others.

I and others would like to see 20% or less, since you are in walking distance to transit and the core.

As to height, a case can be made that there is no step down from the city core to the waterfront regardless of the sloping streets to the waterfront. The damage was done when those condos were built in the 70's and 80's, let along now. This is not going to do that with lesser floors for this project unless you go with what this group is calling for at 38. You can't see the water edge now because of all these buildings and that 38 propose height will not help in seeing the waterfront.

The foot print is too small to have commercial space and one hopes there is more podium space in the other project across the street for a better street edge than stand alone building with retail space at street level.

Wider sidewalks are a must, but not like MLS that has nothing at street level.

I do agree with more parking spaces for out-of-townees, but it need to be underground with signage show how many spaces are there as well what is empty and location for other like I saw in Europe. It can be share parking with a $ cost for it. This includes tour buses.

They must be so proud of themselves now. Getting in the way of change and just being plain annoying. I really hope that the developer goes to the OMB and gets an approval for 100s.

Is the site for 10 york even big enough to build 100s? IMO the best site for 100/200/300s is the existing MTCC complex, 2 blocks between Blue Jays Way and Lowe Simcoe, that's over 10 acres well large enough to support gigantic floor plates. If they wanted they could build higher than the CN Tower. It sounded like Oxford had intentions to do redevelop all of that .. but if the market is slowing it can get shelved for awhile.

Regardless of how tall the buildings are either north or south of the Quay, just about the only place where an uninterrupted view of the water is to be had is from the waterfront promenade that is slowly evolving, and that seems right and proper.

Regardless of how tall the buildings are either north or south of the Quay, just about the only place where an uninterrupted view of the water is to be had is from the waterfront promenade that is slowly evolving, and that seems right and proper.

+1. I'm surprised that I actually agree with Urban Shocker for once...

I truly hope that the OMB doesn't lose it's power in Toronto. As long as we have this kind of NIMBYism, we need the OMB.

I know many of you will disagree with me and my opinion, but this makes me SO angry, why the heck is Tridel even listening to this group of bitter retiree's? Leave it at 75! The height of our city is gaining, and rightly so. Toronto is a constantly evolving city, as is our skyline. If they don't want to live near tall buildings, then they really need to reasses their choice of neighbourhoods. They'd be happier in a small town, the burbs, or a smaller city, but if you're choosing to live in downtown Toronto, expect tall towers to be built, and please, don't whine about it when they are. Reminds me of a patient I had last year, who was blatantly complaining that there are way too many immigrants in Toronto (that's the polite version, needless to say I was forced to call security after she saw my Chinese co-worker and refused to be Xrayed by an, well, I can't repeat it here, but why do people live somewhere they hate, and instead of moving, insist on staying and being a miserable pain in you know what?). I calmly told her the city would be empty without them, and that immigration is what this city, and country is all about, to no avail, same goes to this group of whiners. To me, land downtown is valuable, so why not make the most of it, besides, tall towers are a symbol of strength, and prosperity, if this group had their way, there would be nothing over 10 floors. So, how is it that they actually managed to have Tridel drop seven floors off the height? The new south core, with giants like Ice 1 and 2, is creating a whole new stunning symbol of Toronto's prosperity, don't discourage it, it should be encouraged, dare I say, this is so typical of Toronto, it takes but a whisper to silence the entire chorus. I'm sure there must be a very good reason why Tridel backed down, but aside from possible declining sales, I can't, for the life of me, understand why they even listened to these people. As I said, I know many will disagree with me, and that's fine, variety is the spice of life, but I truly love tall towers, I have a passion for them, and things like this get under my skin, how will we ever grow higher when things like this are allowed to occur?

I know many of you will disagree with me and my opinion, but this makes me SO angry, why the heck is Tridel even listening to this group of bitter retiree's? Leave it at 75! The height of our city is gaining, and rightly so. Toronto is a constantly evolving city, as is our skyline. If they don't want to live near tall buildings, then they really need to reasses their choice of neighbourhoods. They'd be happier in a small town, the burbs, or a smaller city, but if you're choosing to live in downtown Toronto, expect tall towers to be built, and please, don't whine about it when they are. <snip snip>. To me, land downtown is valuable, so why not make the most of it, besides, tall towers are a symbol of strength, and prosperity, if this group had their way, there would be nothing over 10 floors. So, how is it that they actually managed to have Tridel drop seven floors off the height? The new south core, with giants like Ice 1 and 2, is creating a whole new stunning symbol of Toronto's prosperity, don't discourage it, it should be encouraged, dare I say, this is so typical of Toronto, it takes but a whisper to silence the entire chorus. I'm sure there must be a very good reason why Tridel backed down, but aside from possible declining sales, I can't, for the life of me, understand why they even listened to these people. As I said, I know many will disagree with me, and that's fine, variety is the spice of life, but I truly love tall towers, I have a passion for them, and things like this get under my skin, how will we ever grow higher when things like this are allowed to occur?

I have to agree with you. It seems like they'd be more suited living in a retirement home in Milton than in Southcore. I hope they get the 75s hight Tridel originally wanted and possibly even more!

Back