Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

I won't speak to the interiors until I see finished product, and the tea house on the ground floor is an admittedly thoughtful touch, but I've seen greasy takeout boxes from Mandarin with more Asian flair than the design for this building's exterior.

this box is an insult to the senses, and it has to be right on yonge st. we'll have see this thing any time I go downtown. The only location that would be acceptable for this cr#* is Barrie ON.

For me personally, this is a significant improvement to this area of downtown Toronto. I remember when it was so crime ridden and full of drugs so to see this being built is a great thing.

The interior renders look nice but I can't get behind the bland boxiness of the tower design. It's OK but nothing special. Perhaps the cladding will redeem it; otherwise it's just going to be another tall box... smooth but featureless, as if it were trying its best to disappear.

The interior renders look nice but I can't get behind the bland boxiness of the tower design. It's OK but nothing special. Perhaps the cladding will redeem it; otherwise it's just going to be another tall box... smooth but featureless, as if it were trying its best to disappear.

And again...

LessButBetter.png

Attachments

• LessButBetter.png
    LessButBetter.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,127
And again...

No, less doesn't always mean better. This isn't about minimalism, the exteriors are a bland, uninspiring wall of glass balconies. Another copy-pasta design by aA, yet they claim to be "Innovative and Adventurous. Progressive and Resourceful. Creative and Provocative".

Last edited:
So we basically have the Bay Centre Tower with balconies and people are cheering this? I thought everyone was in agreement we ALL hate the Bay Centre Tower? Now we want more just like it but with balconies? (as if that makes it any better) I can't believe the low standards and defeatist attitude some of you people have. "It's better than what was there before" is not something that should come out of anybody's mouth. That is not the kind of thinking that builds great cities. Have a little pride in your city and demand better than this shit!

With all the new development that is going on in Toronto, we have the ability to create a really great city. We are not Buffalo, begging developers to build whatever they want because we are desperate for any kind of development. We have some power and the city should use it by demanding more from our developers. We need development that gives back to the city, not shitty buildings that make the city look generic. I just think that we are throwing away a great opportunity to have first rate, exciting architecture and raise our city's status. We have so much potential that's just being squandered. We might never have this kind of opportunity again.

The building this complex will replace is absolutely decrepit, but I am afraid Yonge St. is heading a little bit too quickly in the direction of Bay St. and that is not a good thing at all for street life.

But never mind the exterior, the interior will be composed mostly of large closets, and that can also have an impact on the fabric of the city. No one can convince me that it is normal, desirable and sustainable to have apartments that are half the size and twice the price than what was available just a bit more than 10 years ago.

perhaps we should be less complacent but I'm not too sure how complaining online at no one in particular solves anything.

The sea of complaints has floated at least one boat: I read in the Globe yesterday that the Province is adjusting code to minimize glass to 40% of exterior. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/vide...trouble-sustainability-expert/article21571875

Condos like this mid-range project wouldn't build unless they sold - and they do. I'm just not one of the buyers is all - that's my protest manifesting in action!

The building this complex will replace is absolutely decrepit, but I am afraid Yonge St. is heading a little bit too quickly in the direction of Bay St. and that is not a good thing at all for street life.

But never mind the exterior, the interior will be composed mostly of large closets, and that can also have an impact on the fabric of the city. No one can convince me that it is normal, desirable and sustainable to have apartments that are half the size and twice the price than what was available just a bit more than 10 years ago.

100% agree

Back