Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

Can't wait till developers start really maximizing space like in Asia. The stuff they will try to get away with will be epic.

that's a good trend if anything.
smaller place - less sprawl. Denser downtown.

there is no reason to complain about small condos
1) there are still plenty of large houses in the suburbs, if one can afford them.
2) larger units downtown means much higher prices (600-650/sf). not sure many people can afford or are willing to buy those $600k condos.

Plus to say smaller condos resembles "Asia" is not accurate. If you have any knowledge in Shanghai's condo market, you would know the market is predominantly large 2-4 bedroom units between 800-1800sf, with probably 10% allocated to one bedroom units, and idea of a studio is almost non-existent. People actually complain about the lack of smaller units. My brother's family of 3 live in a 3 bedroom condo of about 1300sf just by the subway entrance in Pudong. My parents live in a 950sf two bedroom suite facing a big garden. People there don't live in 575sf shoebox like they did in the 1980s any more.

Last edited:
Bad Bear, again demonstrating how little it knows of the design world.

I agree, often less is more, and less can be better, but I disagree in this case. It is a bland forgettable looking building at least from the model. I like aA, they produce better quality and higher degree of accuracy then some others (PS, GP, Kirkor, at least until more recently) but if they produce these building in mass as is the case along the east side of Yonge st north of college, I worry it will be a little bit of overload. I would ask myself as I pass by, wait have I even moved down Yonge street at all? I could have sworn I had already passed by this building.

If I took out the Hudson Bay Centre tower and replaced it with this, would most people even notice the difference? (besides the balconies) They look almost exactly the same. I wonder if this was designed by G & C, instead of aA, what would the reaction be? I'm sure it would be quite different. I am no expert in architecture but I see nothing here of interest to me. It seems to be a tower void of any visual interest all all. In fact, I'd take Aura over this bland box, any day.

How can anybody love this tower? Oh I know, the same people will state the same tired excuses, "it's in the details". With aA, it's always in the details!!! (as if that makes any difference in this building being as boring as hell) Yet that statement, seems to justify every dull, glass box designed by aA.

Last edited:
Can't wait till developers start really maximizing space like in Asia. The stuff they will try to get away with will be epic.

I can't wait either. Oh wait, you were being sarcastic? Live in the suburbs or an older building if you want large spaces.

Someone's knowledge of the "design world" makes exactly zero difference on whether they're entitled to an opinion about a building that has been thrust onto the main street of their city.

In my opinion, this building represents another step in the banalification of Yonge Street. Though I suppose some people consider that to be "progress".

So, I'm not entitled of my own opinions because you don't agree with me or because I don't have a Bachelor of Design? :D I wonder if this wasn't an aA project, would you still singing its praises? I bet you can find the same people who defend this development, criticizing the BA east tower, because you know, it's just a boring office box, right?

The tower itself is certainly not aA's best or most interesting work.

That said, I'm glad they were pushed toward a warmer style of design and materiality for this project. I usually prefer a very stoic modernism but the interiors and style being shown for this project appear very warm and "home-y" but still very contemporary and clean. I'm actually surprised how much I like what I'm seeing so far for the interiors and amenities. I'm satisfied with the podium design, as well, and I'm glad the working group pushed Lanterra to allow aA to do something better here than what I think they had in mind originally.

im with some in agreement. I like the simplicity of the tower and its sleek design, but im concerned with the execution of it. It can go wrong. Lanterra doesn't have the best reputation.

teahouse.jpg

Attachments

• teahouse.jpg
    teahouse.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,089
Man, I hate responses like this.

I agree, and a pretty defeatist attitude towards new unit sizing options. Thankfully we don't need to house everyone here in micro-closets, and I think developers are mostly sensible enough not to try that stuff here, at least not yet. I know personally if I had to choose between the suburbs, (which I don't want to live in) and a 300 sqft unit, (also don't want to live in) I would choose the suburbs. Easy decision.

I agree, and a pretty defeatist attitude towards new unit sizing options. Thankfully we don't need to house everyone here in micro-closets, and I think developers are mostly sensible enough not to try that stuff here, at least not yet. I know personally if I had to choose between the suburbs, (which I don't want to live in) and a 300 sqft unit, (also don't want to live in) I would choose the suburbs. Easy decision.

what about 575 sf, just for yourself? that's more like the norm.
I agree there are too many micro-units, but it is not like there is no decent sized condo to choose from. A single person should be fine with 550sf, and a couple without child 650sf. We really don't need that much space to live in, especially when long commute is the alternative.

Back