Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

^^ Ice aren't great buildings?

Ice is not bad. But take a look at what they built in the Bay-College-Wellesley area. Murano, Burano, 22 Wellesley, The Britt...you name it they are all unremarkable, designed by the same architects, and look almost the same. There's also Karma and U Condos (different developers but also designed by aA). In the case of 501 Yonge, it's a very prime location and yet Lanterra want to built yet another pair of the same boring, cookie-cutter glass boxes that we've seen dozens of times in this city. How many more of these buildings does this neighbourhood need?

The Britt is most definitely not aA. You might not like aA's sobriety, but I say that Murano is a handsome complex (best of the bunch for the very fact of its simplicity) and Burano has lots of good points too.

With 501 Yonge we are getting a little more pizzazz at ground level at least. Looking forward to the renderings.

In regards to 501 Yonge premiering in New York, it's a way for Lanterra to throw a party for their agents, and it's a way to say that this building will have a New York theme… similar to how The Britt has a London theme and Ãce has a Scandinavian theme. It will be met, of course, by a bunch of screaming about "why can't we name/theme things in reference to ourselves, because only a second rate city would name their buildings after another city", and then I'll write another post about the condos in New York that are named after London and Paris, etc., and point out that the insecurity is coming from the people who are worried about us naming or theming our buildings after other places. You just watch.

With this building launching in a different country, that should tell you all you need to know about the pre construction market. Today's condos are built for people who will never step foot in them.

The Britt is most definitely not aA. You might not like aA's sobriety, but I say that Murano is a handsome complex (best of the bunch for the very fact of its simplicity) and Burano has lots of good points too.

With 501 Yonge we are getting a little more pizzazz at ground level at least. Looking forward to the renderings.

In regards to 501 Yonge premiering in New York, it's a way for Lanterra to throw a party for their agents, and it's a way to say that this building will have a New York theme… similar to how The Britt has a London theme and Ãce has a Scandinavian theme. It will be met, of course, by a bunch of screaming about "why can't we name/theme things in reference to ourselves, because only a second rate city would name their buildings after another city", and then I'll write another post about the condos in New York that are named after London and Paris, etc., and point out that the insecurity is coming from the people who are worried about us naming or theming our buildings after other places. You just watch.

Personally, I don't really care what the buildings are named for marketing phase or beyond. That really is all just hype and marketing bs anyway. Anyone who puts much value on that kind of thing is (sorry to say) appears kind of shallow to me. I am curious though, can anyone find some examples of cities other than Toronto that have used "Toronto" in their naming of a project? "The Toronto" for example? Maybe we just haven't been around long enough to have the kind of romaticism of a Paris, or the big city feel of a New York. I mean, really, Toronto has only come in to its own in the past 40 years.

With this building launching in a different country, that should tell you all you need to know about the pre construction market. Today's condos are built for people who will never step foot in them.

I don't know if I can agree. Maybe if 90% of local developers were doing all their launches in other countries you could say the location of the launch showed that it was investor driven and specifically foreign investor driven. I think its just a marketing campaign to try to hype and appear to differentiate the product a bit, since there are so many launches in this city.

Ice is not bad. But take a look at what they built in the Bay-College-Wellesley area. Murano, Burano, 22 Wellesley, The Britt...you name it they are all unremarkable, designed by the same architects, and look almost the same. There's also Karma and U Condos (different developers but also designed by aA). In the case of 501 Yonge, it's a very prime location and yet Lanterra want to built yet another pair of the same boring, cookie-cutter glass boxes that we've seen dozens of times in this city. How many more of these buildings does this neighbourhood need?

Murano? Excellent. Burano? Excellent. 22 Wellesley? Excellent (and from a time when you sure as hell weren't on this forum). The Britt? Terrible P+S garbage (and, as interchange notes, surely not the same architects). Karma? Excellent. U? Excellent. In other words, the only time Lanterra don't get an 'excellent' is when they deviated from the path.

You clearly don't understand much about real estate do you? Lanterra will build what it can sell. "Boring, cookie-cutter glass boxes" might not get you hard in the pants, but they give buyers the best layouts and builders the best return on their dollar.

So no New York theme; it's just an event for the agents. It would have little-to-nothing to do with selling to New York real estate investors. There won't be sales down there today, just a party.

Back