Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

Starbucks will be opening in March 2014 in The Gallery retail space facing Spadina.

29 October 2013: Checking out the nimby'hood--would I live here?
h5t9.jpg

Not many nimbies awake at 7am :)
eo08.jpg

ah6h.jpg

Yes, I would live here! Because the cuties like to walk their cute dogs and smile at me.:)

thanks for the clarification... no, seriously - I'm curious, why is that? a new building? better location? cheap rent? better amenities?

I moved into 150 Dan Leckie last March and I'm thoroughly enjoying my apartment. Most of the people I've encountered here are super nice, and for the first time since moving to Toronto I feel completely comfortable starting conversation or asking for help from people I meet in the elevator. The apartments were obviously made as cheaply as possible, but since I can't say any of the other apartments I've had were much better I can't complain. The neighbourhood is also pretty good. I have a south/east facing apartment so I get to watch all the dogs play in the dog park which is nice. Plus, I haven't seen any bugs. No roaches, no ants, no bed bugs, not one which, again, is a first since moving to Toronto. In the summer there's a farmer's market in the park which is also really nice.
Kinda disappointed to hear that it's a Timmies going in downstairs. I guess I'll keep walking over to Thor for my coffee (Every three weeks when I decide I can afford a coffee I don't make anyway). The Sobey's is a little out of my pay grade but I'm still within walking distance of a few other smaller places that have cheaper groceries. I'll be happy when the Spadina street car comes all the way down here, as walking all the way to Bathurst or King is a bit of a pain (Or I can catch the bus, just to catch the King or Spadina street car later on. I don't fancy waiting for two TTC vehicles instead of just one).
The Apartment may be a little small, but for a two bedroom in this location, for under 1500$/month I'm not complaining.

The only thing I might have an issue with, is that while the building itself seems to be run alright, dealing with the TCHC was a bit of a headache.

I hope that was helpful.

Is there really that much demand for a 500 student catholic school? The city struggles to support churches downtown (with only a couple dozen churches serving several hundred thousand), how is there that much demand that they can build a catholic school with only 50 fewer students than the public school?

I went to a catholic school my whole life... and I don't think in the 21st century we should be building more of them, isn't this a secular society?

^ the issue of Catholic schools is something that is slowly bubbling up in Ontario I think, but it is still too much of a non-issue to really be debated. Religion is a touchy subject and Politicians don't like to get into it unless they have to. The last time a provincial politician tried to touch religious education in the province they lost almost all of their seats. (PCs)

Is there really that much demand for a 500 student catholic school? The city struggles to support churches downtown (with only a couple dozen churches serving several hundred thousand), how is there that much demand that they can build a catholic school with only 50 fewer students than the public school?

Nobody forces adults to go to church, but kids have to go to the school their parents choose. Plenty of somewhat observant parents who would make that choice. As far as changing the status quo, it's complicated by the s. 93 of the Constitution Act, 1867. We are a pretty secular society, but you still have to remember that overt christianity was only eliminated from the public system holdouts in about 1988. See Zylberberg v. Sudbury Board of Education (1988), 65 OR (2d) 641. And anyway, the whole point of separate religious education was to avoid having a uniform society.

Short answer = yes. The schools downtown are already full and some developers now warn purchasers that kids will not be able to attend schools close by.

Oh I see the demand for schools in general, but I am just surprised that there is a nearly 50/50 split in demand for catholic and public schools. I would think it would be more like a 300 student Catholic and 800 student public school.

The catholic school board in Ontario is actually based initially on Britain having to govern French Roman Catholics in the 1700's, then in 1841, a law was passed so that there would be a french catholic system guaranteed.

Last edited:
I am just surprised that there is a nearly 50/50 split in demand for catholic and public schools. I would think it would be more like a 300 student Catholic and 800 student public school.

Hahaha, you don't have to be catholic to go to a catholic school, many other Christian faiths are mixed into the catholic school system
Remember that 70-75% of Ontarians are still Christian, and many people still believe that they deliver the better education of the two

Where are you getting that statistic? I'd sure like to see the source as I don't believe it's anywhere near that high.

Back