Toronto Tableau Condominiums | 124.05m | 36s | Urban Capital | Wallman Architects

Response to facade questions from Urban Capital:

No, the facade is being rebuilt using black bricks and the masonry elements of the original building. The reason the entrance is still standing is that the contractor was having difficulty dissembling it, but it should be done this week.

Well, they're rebuilding it, so it'll look like the original facade if you squint and ignore the too-pristine looking brick and the weird cracks and seams with no cement that are a result of contemporary bricklaying, where brick is merely a decorative element.

Interesting... I was always curious why the renderings depicted the heritage facade with charcoal brick. Now we know!

From yesterday, March 20, 2012

March202012679.jpg

March202012681.jpg

March202012686.jpg

March202012698.jpg

Last edited:
The developer suggests that they are "rebuilding" the facade when in fact they are just building a new one. Nothing of the old brick facade is being reintroduced. I guess this is what passes for heritage these days.

A couple weeks ago:

6894526000_77805029c4_b.jpg

6894526048_bb14d43c12_b.jpg

They seemed to leave this up for a weekend, then knocked it down. Comparing it to CN's, I'd have to guess it was to salvage the stonework.

The developer suggests that they are "rebuilding" the facade when in fact they are just building a new one. Nothing of the old brick facade is being reintroduced. I guess this is what passes for heritage these days.

It's ludicrous. Not only is it evidence of our progressively lower standards for heritage appreciation in development, the whole podium of this project revolved around showcasing the building that sat there before. Then they tear the whole thing down and plan to build a more 'modern' version on one face? I just don't get it.

It's ludicrous. Not only is it evidence of our progressively lower standards for heritage appreciation in development, the whole podium of this project revolved around showcasing the building that sat there before. Then they tear the whole thing down and plan to build a more 'modern' version on one face? I just don't get it.

Those damn developers! How could they destroy a vacant old building and replace it with a much more modern, usable replica that has the added benefit of supporting even more development on top?? They need to be stopped immediately!

Back