Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Menkes: If you're listening, Please please please PLEASE something other than blue-glass window-wall point towers... Toronto needs something bold, muscular and colourful.

Break the monotony!!!

Agreed, the development will be huge, and it should be a standout landmark.

Now, if we here could persuade some property developer to buy up 10 Dundas E. ;)

I predict:

3 residential towers on approx. 8 storey podium containing office ... total height no more than 45s, definitely no higher than Maple Leaf Square

there is some expectation from the City that buildings are to step down towards the lake, seeing that the Waterpark Place III proposal is only 30s that should give a good indication :)

^ Solaris, it is a good point that you make, but I get the feeling that some of the existing planning guidelines are going to be chucked. I am not claiming to have a sixth sense, just witness what is occurring in other parts of downtown.

Aside from all that, the price paid for this parcel of land by a reputable developer is quite a statement of confidence. Let's see what happens here. I want to see something different and fresh.

At least 1,500,000 sf of office and residential space I would think.

Solaris, I'm sure they will go over 45 storeys, but I doubt they would go as high as 75 as UD suggested.

At that location, right by the waterfront, it better be an iconic building! It's going to have a dramatic effect on our skyline.

I took a look at the site while downtown (drove through) just about 1.5 hours ago. This site is a perfect invitation for iconic. All new construction in the vicinity has great "announcement" value at the 3-storey level, and is rectilinear in nature above that. 90 Harbour should play with shape a bit, to get away from sameness.

About height, well, just to the west of this site, Ice is going up and will be 65 condo storeys tall. I'm reasonably sure that 90 Harbour site can and will feature something taller. Here's hoping they really go for the gusto on design.

If they get this building right the skyline, viewed from the lake, will be very significantly altered.

Hmm, do any of Menkes past projects inspire confidence that they can give us something outstanding here?

This has been in the works for some time now. The Province wants to sell this land and will be assisting in getting approvals etc to facilitate the sale. I'm sure the sale will be conditional on getting zoning and SPA. For Menkes to pay 30 million an acre says it all.

Last edited:

Back