Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

from today
20110717a060.jpg

20110717a059.jpg

Sad, sad, sad. A lot could've been done with this building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad, sad, sad. A lot could've been done with this building.

I for one will not be mourning the loss of this building. it does absolutely nothing for me aesthetically (other than remind me of my old high school) and it really contains nothing of the rich history that can be found in so many preservation-worthy buildings in this city. So, in an uncharacteristic stance for me, I say out with the old and in with the new.

My feelings are mixed. It is a unique building in the area, but at the same time it is quite unremarkable. My only fear is that what will replace it is almost guaranteed to be even less remarkable. I think keeping the front facade for a podium would have been the most ideal solution.

I think that you will find thats the plan to keep the front facade....they will have to dismantle brick by brick and re-locate them in a different location.

That is what they were doing today, removing the upper part of the facade.

How exactly were they removing the upper part of the facade? Piece by piece, or with a backhoe?

How exactly were they removing the upper part of the facade? Piece by piece, or with a backhoe?

In the mornning there were few workers on the roof, imediatelly behind the upper part of the facade, and crane in front of the facade, later on I noticed that one piece/stone tile was removed, when I got back home noticed that the whole top row is no longer there. http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z469/PeterZeiss/?action=view&current=DSC02997.jpg and picture taken 5 min. ago http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z469/PeterZeiss/?action=view&current=DSC03002.jpg
ps;sorry for the bad quality

Last edited:
That's great to hear. So there is no development even proposed for this lot. Does that mean it's going to be a parking lot for now?

I'd rather it stay parking lot until something exceptional is proposed for this site. By exceptional I mean something that helps break up all that glass down in the area, or something like a single or twin super-tall office tower(s) connected to PATH. We're running out of room for tall buildings in Toronto given all the restrictions imposed by the City.

Back