Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

this building likely couldnt be saved - it prolly never had a chance to meet fire code (a lot of wood used, lack of sprinklers etc). Heck, Sudbury had building identical to that one... was almost declared a historic structure, until a couple 12 year old's threw a molotive cocktail into the basement and the entire place was gone within a couple hours.

4 Seasons?

This site calls for something bigger & bolder. Some building in Toronto should make a statement, especially if most of the other new buildings are going to stand there blank-faced and boring.

It calls for the world's biggest, most audacious, LEED-platinum green skyscraper.

Jean Nouvel.

Renzo Piano. Foster. Gehry. MVRDV. Hadid.
Calatrava.

...! Wouldn't it be grand.

It sure would be....I wonder how much more the fee for Jean Nouvel would be compared to a local architect....can't be that much more, could it? I wonder if our local developers are even aware of some of these names....

Jean Nouvel.

Renzo Piano. Foster. Gehry. MVRDV. Hadid.
Calatrava.

...! Wouldn't it be grand.

Good choices. This is such a premium lot that the developer surely understands the value of getting one of these artists to knock one out of the park. The area needs something different. I'd go for real height, too, at this location. 90+ storeys. It would make a statement.

I'd love to see 90 stories but the realist in me says it'll be more like 70-75.

And I don't think we'll see a starchitect on this . . . but boy I'd sure love to be wrong!

Those videos show that there is major issues with Toronto's developers, and the staff in the city that allow this to go through. Unbelievable. I'd be so mad.

But NYC is full of this. I stayed at a hotel where if i were actually able to open my window i could touch the brick of the building next door. Same goes for Paris. I sometimes wonder whether you people have actually visited other cities.
I always thought this building, 90 Harbour, could've been perfect for a shopping mall, a la Victoria Building in Sydney. There's quite a few residents there already and more coming and a few hotels as well. Some quality retail with restaurants. Maybe even a rooftop bar. Parts of the parking lot could've been turned into a park around the 60 Harbour site along with a fountain. Am i crazy in thinking that?

Sounds nice but who's going to pay for down-zoning the site? The property carries a particular value because of its potential. If someone wants to develop the existing building into a "mall" of sorts, the property would have be sold practically gratis as there would be significant renovations and little upside in terms of rent. This would require the Province to "gift" the land to either the city or a developer with a specific development agreement and the Province would then have one less asset from which to generate revenue.

I'm afraid it is just a pipe dream even though it may seem appealing to those nearby.

I hope the feds feel differently with what goes up next door at the Port Authoritys 60 Harbour street....personally i would like to see a public square/park around that beautiful heritage building.:cool:

since this is being torn down is there immediate plans to build something once its gone? otherwise whats the purpose of taking the building down?

thats good news. However I think the city should start banning tearing down of any buildings unless financing is already in place for construction to happen ASAP... The problem I have is that the world economy might colapse if the US defaults which would affect our ability to build. Also even if the US does not collapse there will probably soon be a time where we simply have too much supply and not enough demand which would again cause construction to cease. Treading cautously would make sense to avoid things like the old BA stump, the new MARS2 halting and even the corner of yonge&bloor (which thankfully got saved). I dont think I am alone in saying that I am loving the density that Toronto is creating. I also dont think I am alone in saying I HATE ABOVE GROUND PARKING LOTS. That being said Id rather have a 2 or 3 floor building exsist instead of a parking lot. Dont tear down unless you are going to build up, ASAP!

Sounds nice but who's going to pay for down-zoning the site? The property carries a particular value because of its potential. If someone wants to develop the existing building into a "mall" of sorts, the property would have be sold practically gratis as there would be significant renovations and little upside in terms of rent. This would require the Province to "gift" the land to either the city or a developer with a specific development agreement and the Province would then have one less asset from which to generate revenue.

I'm afraid it is just a pipe dream even though it may seem appealing to those nearby.

Well the parking lot is huge. If the city, province and a developper had worked together, you could've had a 60 story office building along with the shopping centre and a small park around the 60 Harbour site, if the owner was willing to sell.

But NYC is full of this. I stayed at a hotel where if i were actually able to open my window i could touch the brick of the building next door. Same goes for Paris. I sometimes wonder whether you people have actually visited other cities.
I always thought this building, 90 Harbour, could've been perfect for a shopping mall, a la Victoria Building in Sydney. There's quite a few residents there already and more coming and a few hotels as well. Some quality retail with restaurants. Maybe even a rooftop bar. Parts of the parking lot could've been turned into a park around the 60 Harbour site along with a fountain. Am i crazy in thinking that?
It doesn't matter whether there are lots of other cities that do this as well. Nobody ever said anything about it being a Toronto-centric problem. I only stated that it is obviously a problem here. This is Urban Toronto after all.

since this is being torn down is there immediate plans to build something once its gone? otherwise whats the purpose of taking the building down?

I think the idea is to get the building down quickly before it's demolition could pose a problem - I.e. People protesting the demolition.

Also, this site is far too expensive to let sit. The cost of carrying 75 million dollars worth of land is huge and the longer it sits empty and not collecting rent, the more expensive it gets.

Back