Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Yeah seems a bit risky with the only confirmed tenant HOOPP leasing 17% of the space. However, there are rumours of major tenants looking for space in the area, and it is very likely that Menkes is currently in talks with potential lead tenants. I am confident that there will be a lead tenant announced in the near future, which may be why the tower was reduced by 2 storeys based on their needs. All speculative mind you, however Canadian developers are historically adverse to risk.

I wonder how the east facing residents on the middle floors of 10 York will feel about looking directly are the (likely LED) west facing signage of 1 York's lead tenant. Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm imagining?

As for the office market, I don't think they'll have a problem filling this one. AAA, LEED Platinum, municipal administration hell bent on making it easier and easier for companies to do business here (even at the cost of much else), downtown location, subway access etc. I'd think this stuff sells itself, and our office vacancy rate is already quite low as it is.

How is the municiapal administration hell bent on making it easier and easier for companies to do business here? I appreciate that the Ford team portrays itself as generally pro business and certainly pretty much all administrations want to increase there tax base - but I am straining to think of really tangible policies implemented. I feel like the increased office space is a function of increase in people living in/around the downtown core and the diffuculty people have moving around the GTA (ie. commuting times are increasing).

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a more pro business agenda at city counsel - but can't say I have seen anything significant concrete. (maybe this is too broad a topic for this thread)

That was actually a bit of a sarcastic comment. Sorry if it didn't come through as well as I had hoped. We all know he hasn't done a thing other than take a weekend trip to Chicago that nobody in Chicago was aware of. The Fords do often mention lowering the commercial tax rate, and this current budget only has a marginal increase, much lower than the 2% increase in residential property tax, so I guess that's something.

Agree with that you said though. I do think downtown condos support downtown office space, and the same for the opposite. They need each other to survive. We've already got the condos with a ton more on the way, so we need this one along with the rest that are under construction to keep both sides of the equation afloat.

Found over at SSC:
avF58.jpg

Found over at SSC:

this is too cool! add in 10 york and you have some crazy density along the gardiner!
And ya, definitely a huge branding opportunity considering the logo will essentially be seen for a huge stretch.
A taller office tower actually wouldn't have looked so bad from here (also one with a more unique design), but I definitely don't hate it. It looks like it'll turn out like similar to Telus House

I find the most interesting part of the development is that the office building will be LEED platinum compared to LEEDgold like most new buildings.

I find the most interesting part of the development is that the office building will be LEED platinum compared to LEEDgold like most new buildings.

Do you know what extra conditions they are meeting to achieve this designation? Must be costing them quite a bit, mind you it is probably a huge seller for potential tenants.

Found over at SSC:
avF58.jpg

Am I crazy or is the westbound side all Audis and BMWs while the eastbound side is all Japanese economy cars...

Back