Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 2) | 283.6m | 85s | Menkes | a—A

Not to get your hopes up but there is real work happening at the site today.

IMG_5379.png

Not to get your hopes up but there is real work happening at the site today.

View attachment 593732
I'm guessing they're probably just inspecting the bracing system that's holding up the facade.

I'm sure they'll be back in a couple months for the tri-annual dirt moving ceremonies we've been accustomed to.

Ahem @Northern Light

https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...nt/application-details/?id=5498578&pid=579018

To permit the reduction of residential parking spaces and types, residential amenity space provided, and tower heights to the 85 ,78, and 70-storey buildings, currently under review by Site Plan Control Application (File Number 20 19218252 STE 10 SA). There will be a total of 2,640 residential dwelling units (with 188 affordable units) within this block (Block4).

Redesign of the Block 4 Lands

The development scheme contemplated for Block 4 as part of the 2019 OLT settlement included an expansive retail podium that occupied the entire southern half of Block 4 and housed a large retail component as well as a new elementary school and daycare facility. However, due to shifting retail market demands following the COVID-19 pandemic, demand for large-scale retail spaces, such as the one approved as part of the original design for the Site, has diminished, while demand for service-related retail comprising mainly restaurants and food and beverage offerings has increased. As a result, a redesign of the Block 4 retail space was required to facilitate the successful development of the Site. Additionally, while the 2019 OLT settlement did not allow for the phased development of Block 4, given current condominium market conditions, phasing is now required to maintain the feasibility of the development of such lands. In light of the foregoing, our client has worked collaboratively with City Staff, and several additional stakeholders, to redesign the development scheme for the Block 4 lands in a manner which addresses evolving market conditions while also allowing for a more pedestrian-friendly design and public realm. The following is a review of the most significant revisions made as part of this application.

Redesigned Tower Podium

The 2019 OLT settlement contemplated a podium design in which the three (3) residential towers would share a somewhat oversized 3-storey podium. The approved podium was meant to connect all three towers, and would house a large retail grocery store, an elementary school and daycare facility. However, as part of the redesign of the Site, the tower podiums have been revised to reduce the bulk and mass in order to create individual podiums for each residential tower. This podium redesign allows for an open community space at-grade via pedestrian connections between buildings.

Furthermore, the school and daycare areas, which were previously shown within a podium that was to be shared amongst several residential towers, are now proposed to be located within the existing LCBO headquarters.

The proposed location of the elementary school has been relocated to allow for at-grade entrance to the school, in addition to a safer and more convenient access to the outdoor playground space, which space is now proposed on the rooftop of the existing LCBO headquarters. This revised design, coupled with the requested ability to phase the development of the Block 4 lands, will result in an earlier delivery of the school than that which was previously contemplated as part of the 2019 OLT settlement.

In addition to the relocation of the school, the proposed daycare space will also be located 3 within the original LCBO office headquarters. As a result, the existing 4-storey expression of the LCBO headquarters, which building has been identified as having heritage value, will be maintained in addition to the previously proposed heritage mews which will serve as the main pick up and drop off function for the Site.

Revisions to Residential Towers
The proposed heights of the three (3) residential towers on Block 4 have been reduced to heights of approximately 239, 263, and 284 metres (reduced from 260, 290 and 299 metres), with a total gross floor area of 182,806 square metres, 188 affordable units and 2,640 market condominium units.

Furthermore, the location of the three (3) residential towers have been shifted south – while maintaining a tower separation distance of 25 metres. This revised configuration has allowed for the creation of at-grade pedestrian connections which will work to provide connectivity between Downes Street and the school and daycare facilities at the northern portion of the Site.

New Retail and Restaurant Locations
The original proposal for the Block 4 lands showed two large retail spaces within the previously combined podium. The revised proposal, which proposal has broken up the single podium into three distinct podiums for each residential tower, now proposes three separate and distinct retail spaces at the base of each podium, with frontages alongDownes Street. This newly proposed retail configuration, coupled with the introduction of new pedestrian connections due to the redesign of the Site, will result in an enhanced and animated pedestrian experience along the northern border of the new community park.

Throughout this redesign process, our client has maintained open communication with City Staff, the Toronto District School Board, and various additional stakeholders, all of whom remain supportive of the proposed redesign. Moving forward, our client will continue to work collaboratively with such parties to address any questions or concerns that may arise during the Site Plan Approval process.

SW4.jpg

As I said, You don't do small. LOL

So let's see, if we sum up.........the changes...........

- Supermarket deleted

- Space reallocated to alternate retail format and at-grade entrance for school.

- Three towers shifted south.

- This allows the school to be free-standing, or at least not encumbered by towers.

- Change in podium expression.

- Height in M reduced for all buildings.

- Max height in storeys now 85s instead of 90.

@Paclo

Last edited:
As I said, You don't do small. LOL

So let's see, if we sum up.........the changes...........

- Supermarket deleted

- Space reallocated to alternate retail format and at-grade entrance for school.

- Three towers shifted south.

- Change in podium expression.

- Height in M reduced for all buildings.

- Max height in storeys now 85s instead of 90.

@Paclo
So nothing about the park? The school is now in the LCBO building.

So nothing about the park?

That's Block 3, this is Block 4.

I didn't note anything new about Block 3.

Well, except that the school will now have a full play area on the roof of the new building, so that may alter the design of the park.

The school is now in the LCBO building.

Errr, sure.........the school will be entirely behind the facades of the old LCBO building at the north end of the site.

I don't think you can say it will be within the existing building (that wording is awkward) as there really is no existing building left there.

That's Block 3, this is Block 4.

I didn't note anything new about Block 3.

Well, except that the school will now have a full play area on the roof of the new building, so that may alter the design of the park.

Errr, sure.........the school will be entirely behind the facades of the old LCBO building at the north end of the site.

I don't think you can say it will be within the existing building (that wording is awkward) as there really is no existing building left there.
Wait I was assuming the current (new LCBO) beside sugar warf phase 1.

So if I'm understanding correctly the school will be in the new building that's yet to be built on the LCBO facade

Wait I was assuming the current (new LCBO) beside sugar warf phase 1.

So if I'm understanding correctly the school will be in the new building that's yet to be built on the LCBO facade

Correct.

The wording in the letter is terrible. It has be confused for a moment as well.

Back