Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

quick/random question...
How much wind is required to make a building like this sway?. i know that the larger the buildings footprint, the more the wind has an effect on it (for the side of a box building), but then again, when there is a smaller footprint, the building will have a higher center of gravity, so it should sway more during an earthquake (i think).... cause i hate it when you're high up in a building when it sways... it makes me feel unsafe!

Came across an interesting stat on the Chrystler Building from its wiki page claiming they used around 3.8 million bricks. It would definitely be impractical to have to lay that many bricks by hand nowadays.

They could always start by getting that guy at Nuit Blanche who shifted around a couple of tons of bricks during the night.

by me

sany0011c.jpg

^That KPMG sign was a colossal waste of money, but for symmetry they had to do it. No one will ever see it except for a few unlucky tenants in Trump Tower itself and perhaps a few people in the First Canadian Place. There is almost no angle it will be visible from and from the street below the lettering would be completely illegible at such an oblique angle. As advertising it is useless unless you already know what it says.

I wonder if they'll bother to illumiinate the south-facing sign. Those signs are pretty bright and it would almost seem cruel to light that one when it really won't be visible anywhere other than in someone's living room

They'll light it. Awesome advertising to powerful people that will see their branding on a daily basis. Selling access into the homes of the richest and wealthiest people in Toronto. You cant buy that, and these are the people very likely to need highend accounting for their personal and for their business and corporate lives. Brookfield is doing it up... I cant blame them if I had that power, I would do it up as well.

^That KPMG sign was a colossal waste of money, but for symmetry they had to do it. No one will ever see it except for a few unlucky tenants in Trump Tower itself and perhaps a few people in the First Canadian Place. There is almost no angle it will be visible from and from the street below the lettering would be completely illegible at such an oblique angle. As advertising it is useless unless you already know what it says.

I wonder if they'll bother to illumiinate the south-facing sign. Those signs are pretty bright and it would almost seem cruel to light that one when it really won't be visible anywhere other than in someone's living room

They'll light it. Awesome advertising to powerful people that will see their branding on a daily basis. Selling access into the homes of the richest and wealthiest people in Toronto. You cant buy that, and these are the people very likely to need highend accounting for their personal and for their business and corporate lives. Brookfield is doing it up... I cant blame them if I had that power, I would do it up as well.

What? You think that lighting that south-facing sign at night will endear the residents in the Trump tower who will be living across from it? Those people will be cursing KPMB from sunset to sunrise! I agree with Traynor and Whatever: the sign is in a riduculous spot. If it is lit once the Trump opens, it won't be more than a couple of days before the local counsellor has a dozen calls demanding that it be turned off.

You mean KPMG.

Perhaps they've moved the office inside, but the constuction office trailer above the Adailade sidewalk is gone this morning.

Back