Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

by me

sany0003e.jpg

sany0006zr.jpg

What part of the cladding would you say is more expensive? The Stone or the Glass?

Glass is the cheapest clad out there, second to nothing. I'd assume it's 100x cheaper than the granite used for this project.

Actually glass is not that cheap. Brick is certainly cheaper and that is why many 'cheap' buildings have a lot of brick or other cladding and very small windows.

^ Developers tend to incorporate elements into their buildings that consumers look for when purchasing new units - floor-to-ceiling windows are a very popular feature. Just like granite countertops are more expensive then cheaper melamine countertops - but they are often a standard feature since they are popular and are generally expected as a base-line feature even in entry level product.

This is a very interesting conversation you guys have going. That totally makes sense about the floor to ceiling windows being expected in condos.

Someone mentioned brick being cheap(er) though. I thought I had heard multiple times that the reason brick is rarely used these days is due to the high price. Was I misinformed about that?

Wouldn't the perceived higher cost of ordinary brick actually be in the labour/time cost of laying it down? I always had the impression that's why builders started moving away from using brick and towards precast/curtain wall...easier to produce and faster to install?

I don't know about the cost of it, but building a high rise out of brick is hard to do and impractical is it not?
It would be fantastic to have a skyscraper made out of brick like the Chrysler Building, but it would be impractical to have to build something that big out of brick..

Trump rising sky-high...just love it :cool:

October12010073.jpg

Is that blank wall/slab of concrete on the uppermost east side right now the transition floor for the residential/setback?. i'm hoping to see a setback right about now :) this tower always kills me with anticipation.

I don't know about the cost of it, but building a high rise out of brick is hard to do and impractical is it not?
It would be fantastic to have a skyscraper made out of brick like the Chrysler Building, but it would be impractical to have to build something that big out of brick..

Came across an interesting stat on the Chrystler Building from its wiki page claiming they used around 3.8 million bricks. It would definitely be impractical to have to lay that many bricks by hand nowadays.

Back