Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

There are no more setbacks. Just the spire.
Current render on left. Old render on the right, which included more setbacks.
comparisonxd3.jpg

The rendering on the left shows one major setback on the east side.

Same with the one on the right.. i think its safe to assume there will be a setback where the curved section becomes flattened since its depicted in all of the renders.

Shouldn't we already be seeing it? (or is the flat section blocked by the weatherwall?

The old version is indeed far superior -- the multiple setbacks give it more grace, whereas the massing of the current version seems clunky and ill-proportioned. Alas.

Damn, I never noticed the difference. The new design is much less interesting. I see they still use the old render on the official website though... somewhat misleading.

^Unfortunately the render artist employed extreme perspective in the newer version, giving it an even more chunky/clunky appearance. Note the angle of the West facade at the top as it recedes to the South. Very exaggerated. It forces Commerce Court West to be disproportionate as well.

^Unfortunately the render artist employed extreme perspective in the newer version, giving it an even more chunky/clunky appearance. Note the angle of the West facade at the top as it recedes to the South. Very exaggerated. It forces Commerce Court West to be disproportionate as well.

Well said traynor. i HATE the newer render! It looks like SH**!

Looking at Caltrane's shot, i can't really tell weather the top 2 floors are straight or curved... and i can't tell if there is a mini setback on the east side starting at the top of the mechanical floors.... either way. i'm very happy with the significant progress that has finally come following the mechanical levels. You can already see how huge this tower is about to get over the next few months. Nearing the 40 floor mark (and at about 150m now), i'm hoping for the 60th floor to be poured sometime in spring. and then the spire...

And according to the render the very top floor with the stone facade's the last one to have it; it's all glass from there on up. But according to the OLD rendering, there's still 3 more floors to go so we'll have to wait and see what happens!

Last edited:
Looking at Trump from Dundee place, it is clearly visible that the current floor has a curved setback on the east side.
This means that (at least) both the north and east sides are curvy!

Sorry, no pictures.

Good news for all those upset with the potential outcome of Trump. Based on the comparisons between both renders, it seems that current construction is more aligned with the older, green glassed rendering of the structure. Obviously, the cladding colour is accurate with this older render, but one should take a look at the notches on the north facade where the precast merges with the glass. The "new" rendering shows 7 such notches before the facade transitions to all glass. The old rendering shows 9 such notches. Count the notches on the actual structure under construction, and there are 9. Perhaps I'm being a tad too optimistic, but it seems that construction is following the former render more so than the newer, bluer rendering. We will have to wait and see what the future holds.

Back