Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

The shortened version of Trump is missing one of the larger set-backs that was to be located on the upper third of the tower that gave a slimming visual/sculptural impression.

That's the one thing that bugs me about the new version. The elimination of the upper setback. It would be a nice juxtaposition having the main cylinder of the tower stick out from the rest of the building rather than being flush. I don't understand why they had to eliminate that setback completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably to make up for some of the floor area that was lost when they reduced the floor count. It's cheaper to make bigger floor plates then to add more floors.
That said, this thing is so tall and narrow I don't think the impact will be that different.

Alex Shnaider was this year’s largest net worth decliner.

The Rich 100: Fortunes made, fortunes lost
Heather Li
Canadian Business Magazine

Nov 2009

It’s been a tumultuous couple of years for Ivanhoe Mines executive chairman Robert Friedland, but it’s safe to say he’s probably feeling pretty good these days. Last year, he had the biggest drop on the Rich 100, as his net worth tumbled by 52%. But this year, his personal wealth has increased by nearly 217%, to $1.59 billion, making him our biggest gainer in 2009 and vaulting him up 61 spots, from No. 93 to No. 32.

During the market crash in the fall of 2008, Ivanhoe stock, which makes up the bulk of Friedland’s fortune, fell to about $2 from $11. After steadily rising over the first half of this year, the shares were boosted to $13 in August, when the Mongolian government cancelled a 68% windfall profit tax on copper and gold, which was a huge obstacle for developing Ivanhoe’s Oyu Tolgoi project. Friedland is still behind his 2007 Rich 100 ranking of No. 29, when he had a net worth of $1.67 billion.

Other notable 2009 Rich List gainers include Dennis (Chip) Wilson, founder of yogawear company Lululemon Athletica, whose 55% increase in net worth, to $750 million, moved him up 17 spots to No. 78, and SmartCentres real-estate company owner Mitchell Goldhar, whose wealth increased by 30% from 2008. Over the summer, Lululemon’s same-store sales were better than expected. Meanwhile, SmartCentres has been in an acquisition phase this past year, and its value has increased by $175 million. Goldhar lands at No. 37, 13 places up from last year, with a net worth of $1.37 billion.

Though most of our Rich 100 members increased in worth, there were some notable drops. Alex Shnaider, co-founder of the international steel and real estate investment company Midland Group, was this year’s largest net worth decliner. A 50% drop in his net worth, to $2.13 billion from $4.25 billion, resulted in Shnaider falling to No. 20 from No. 6. Shnaider’s loss was due to the decline in Midland’s value, which decreased by $1.4 billion.

Michael Lee-Chin also took a big hit with the decline of his AIC Mutual Funds company and its sale to Manulife. His net worth decreased by 30%, to $1.7 billion, and he dropped 12 spots, to No. 28. Stewart Blusson and Charles Fipke, large stake-owners in the Ekati diamond mine, also experienced large drops. Their net worths declined by 21% and 19% respectively, mainly because the mine’s reserves are valued in U.S. dollars, and the Canadian dollar was so strong at the end of this year. Still, we’re sure Blusson and Fipke, who are side by side on this year’s list at No. 81 and 82, aren’t crying too much over the loss. Combined, they’re worth more than $1.37 billion.

Alex Shnaider partnered with Donald Trump in the construction of the Trump International Hotel and Tower, which is currently under construction in Toronto. Donald Trump is a minority shareholder in the project. Shnaider has reportedly decided to keep the penthouse suite for himself, at an estimated value of $20 million. Source Wikipedia

Last edited:
The eastern half of the floor for the fourteenth floor is now being poured. They should be able to build at a much better clip now that they are fully into the standard floorplate hotel suite floors.

by me

sany1405.jpg

It's funny how it already feels imposing at 14 storeys. Love the massing so far, and it's also interesting now that we can finally see a bit of the south elevation poking up (you can get a pretty good look at it now on the west side of Bay, south of Adelaide)

pic from Sunday evening (hopefully):

b_trumpt2_a.jpg

b_trumpt1_a.jpg

Attachments

• b_trumpt1_a.jpg
    b_trumpt1_a.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 335
  • b_trumpt2_a.jpg
    b_trumpt2_a.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Floors 8, 9 & 10

dsc01725g.jpg

Elevator current elevation @ 9th Floor

dsc01727y.jpg

2 - 10. A wall of trump

dsc01728e.jpg

WOW!... SWEEET shots!!! :)

You can even picture the views from inside the building (I feel like i'm actually inside from some of those close ups)

Thanks SOOO much for the photos!

****CLADDING?!... Anyone?... Anyone? :mad:

HOLY CRAP!

I was looking back at the photos ^^^^ and i noticed the stairwells compared to each floor.... THE CEILING HEIGHTS ARE HUGE!!!!!... you can compare the stairwell intervals to the floor height... It's like double!

The ceilings are like 20 feet!?

Last edited by a moderator:
HOLY CRAP!

I was looking back at the photos ^^^^ and i noticed the stairwells compared to each floor.... THE CEILING HEIGHTS ARE HUGE!!!!!... you can compare the stairwell intervals to the floor height... It's like double!

The ceilings are like 20 feet!?

You're right, I hadn't noticed. If you look at some of the pictures, you can see the workers for scale. They do look to be about 20 feet. My goodness.

Back