Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

They are working today on replacing the Front Street sidewalk - unfortunately they seem to have forgotten they cut down 3 mature trees and are obliged to replant them (or more!). I have alerted the Market Manager! Here are the 3 lost trees.
1698948134372.png

Maybe this is what they are pondering? Any bets when the utility locates appear?

Orange net & scaffolding for 81ish front st e renovation.
_N8A2567.jpeg

I guess the spikes were for the safety net. Nice.
_N8A2543.jpeg

Temporary rain protection?
_N8A2544.jpeg

Vacuuming? Heat gun?
_N8A2581.jpeg

They are working today on replacing the Front Street sidewalk - unfortunately they seem to have forgotten they cut down 3 mature trees and are obliged to replant them (or more!). I have alerted the Market Manager! Here are the 3 lost trees.
View attachment 517244
I have been told that these trees will be replaced as Market Lane Park is done next year. This makes sense and now 'everyone' knows so people can't say they did not know/remember. Here is a photo - I assume the replacement trees will go in area in bottom right!

SLM West1.png

View attachment 517244

So what happened? They had a tree protection plan. Not the best looking trees I guess. I’m sure it made the contractor’s life easier without them.
It’s solid concrete today.
How did the money work out on that one? Probably an extra to remove the tree and then an extra to finish the sidewalk and then another big cost if they ever do anything about it on the next project.

IMG_4843.jpeg

Removed between March 6 and March 24, 2020

So what happened? They had a tree protection plan. Not the best looking trees I guess. I’m sure it made the contractor’s life easier without them.
It’s solid concrete today.
How did the money work out on that one? Probably an extra to remove the tree and then an extra to finish the sidewalk and then another big cost if they ever do anything about it on the next project.

View attachment 518952
Removed between March 6 and March 24, 2020
Yes, the City does not seem to make much effort to inspect Site plan conditions - at least on City-run projects! I bet the continuing closure of the west sidewalk on Jarvis is not being done with a proper permit either!

This Report, coming to Executive next week still talks of a Q1 2024 completion date but I have my doubts! Last I heard 'from a usually reliable source' was that the work on the Court fitting out is holding up the opening of the Market itself, now planned for April/May 2024 which means June in City-speak!.

1701184810939.png

But the TPA sem to be thinking of aDecember 2024 completion for their garage!

1701185164067.png

Easily one of my favourite buildings to go up in the last 10 years. It's projects like this that re-new my faith in Toronto.
Yes. They look great. Not crazy about the cloudy tinted grey front windows, an amber-like tint would look nicer, to match side striping.
But I’ll take it.

As someone who loves the architecture in London, having something like this in Toronto makes me so happy. Hopefully whatever we get for the library that replaces the temporary south market looks this good too.
Any word on what kind of shops we getting? London has amazing shops to go with the architecture which Toronto is always lacking.

Back