Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

They excavated all morning, but ithe dump trucks were getting stuck alot owning to all the rain on the weekend. They brought in more gravel in the afternoon. A second large excavator arrived on site today.

Anyone else thinks this area should have been made into a beautiful urban plaza - maybe with weekend outdoor market vendors? (it would have certainly been the case if this was in Montreal)
Move the permanent new market building to the parking lot just south of the St. Lawrence Market / where the current temp market is - and leave this site as a public square.
Keep in mind that the origingal crown grant from Governor Simcoe was for this property to be used for a public market. It would be difficult to use this property for different purposes, and why bother changing the use, what with St. James Park, Berczy Park, and the new park where the tent is now all within spitting distance. In any event , the closed stretch of Market Street between King and Front already is an urban plaza.

20200117_134529.jpg
20200117_134546.jpg

Attachments

• 20200117_134534.jpg
    20200117_134534.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
What a pleasant surprise. I didn't bother checking in on this for 5 years and they've progressed from fencing off to 20 feet of digging. I honestly expected it to look exactly the same.

Last edited:
The drilling rig returned late this afternoon. Looks like they are going to start putting in the second level of tie backs.
Yes, they need to do this before a bit more digging - there will be 3 floors of underground parking and it looks to me as though they may now have two. Looking at the excavation does make me really regret that there will not be an underground link between South and North Markets. Apparently there are sewers under front that made this impossible but ....

Yes, they need to do this before a bit more digging - there will be 3 floors of underground parking and it looks to me as though they may now have two. Looking at the excavation does make me really regret that there will not be an underground link between South and North Markets. Apparently there are sewers under front that made this impossible but ....
...an underground connection can still be made even deeper.

Even underground parking lots can have pedestrian crossings. After all, parts of the PATH cut through underground parking lots and there are pedestrian crossings.

Reactions: DSC
...an underground connection can still be made even deeper.

Even underground parking lots can have pedestrian crossings. After all, parts of the PATH cut through underground parking lots and there are pedestrian crossings.
If it would have to be -2 from street level, is there somewhere to receive it on the South Market side? If they have to dig down in the building I assume elevators would also be required too for accessibility rules? Sounds like a lot of work.

If it would have to be -2 from street level, is there somewhere to receive it on the South Market side? If they have to dig down in the building I assume elevators would also be required too for accessibility rules? Sounds like a lot of work.
It obviously COULD be done but they are not doing it.

No doubt the merchants in the South Market would love a direct underground connection from the new parking garage… but at what expense? That's why it's not happening: if it made economic sense, it would be underway.

Reactions: DSC

Back