Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

I didn't even like the original, but it was at least interesting, while this latest version sheds all the interesting aspects to make a hideous hunk of banality. This shouldn't be allowed to go up in such a prominent and important context.

X-ray:

TBH I don't see a huge cheapening regarding the project - I just think that the working renderings offers a rather poor comparison to those competition ones. As to the parking spots - I think the parking component have always been there, though not sure about whether there was an increase in the exact number of spots.

AoD
According to this story, the number of underground parking levels increased from 2.5 to 4 at the request of TPA. At $7m, the additional parking is almost 50% of the cost increase.

I'm lost. Could someone post both the winning rendering and the latest revision? Thanks.

Thanks for posting that marcus. The TPA are a bunch of crooks - if anyone has ever had to deal with Green P, then you will know exactly what I am referring to.

A little frustrating to know that the TPA is mainly behind the controversy and the cuts in design, not the base design.

Interesting how agencies manages to screw over each other - look at the number Toronto Water did on TTC on Leslie Street, getting the streetcar project to take the hit for a silted up ancient water main.

I signed your petition interchange42. I wasn't crazy about the winning design but the massacred redesign is truly horrible, though I do like the vaulted roofs. I'd rather wait and have it done properly. This is too important a Toronto Landmark to ruin with poor design.

From the Market Square board to residents.

Dear Owners and Residents of Market Square,
As you are probably aware, the North Market building initiative is going back to City council on July 16th for approval to continue the initiative under the new budget. Our Councillor Pam McConnell is asking for a show of our support.
The design as approved required some modifications and there is added cost. A good chunk of the added cost came about because the major neighbourhood constituent associations along with us at Market Square strongly believed that the Market Lane 30 year old trees should be preserved and that no garage should be dug under Market Lane nor should Market Lane be used for entry or exit to the garage facilities being planned.
The modifications are also the result of a desire to improve the energy efficiency of the building, make the interior more conducive to ongoing business operations as well as keeping the height of the new structure in sync with St Lawrence Hall and the South Market and not have a height taller than Market Square. The new version maintains its open concept with the grand central arcade which highlights St Lawrence Hall. In addition to its market and traffic court functions the new building is conceived to house new facilities such as restaurants which will add to the occupancy of the building and increase the vibrancy of the neighbourhood. We believe that the proposed building very effectively links two of Toronto's most valued heritage buildings while also projecting an open, modern and future looking neighbourhood. The current design is not quite final and we, through Councillor McConnell’s office, will continue to have input.
Finally, we believe the current North Market should be demolished as it is an embarrassment to the heritage landmark that is the St Lawrence Market Complex and that Market Lane must be improved and that both of these changes will contribute to the well-being of this part of town, not to mention property values of suites in Market Square
It is important. Will you sign it too? Here is the link:

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/city-council-approve-the-st-lawrence-north-market-project?share_id=eJAqayLSME&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Back