News   Jul 12, 2024
 910     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 814     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 334     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

^^ The fact that the street looks beautiful and is more vibrant than it ever has been before is also another plus. You guys should go up there, St. Clair works very well.

Exactly.

I live on St. Clair and the streetscape look much, much better than before.

Wednesday June 30th with passengers, according to the latest update on the TTC website - http://www3.ttc.ca/Service_Advisori...nue_West_Transit_Improvements_Project_End.jsp Test vehicles will start running on Tuesday June 29th.

Here's the information from the website:

512 St Clair Streetcar Service Resumes between Lansdowne Avenue and Gunns Loop

On Wednesday, June 30, 2010, streetcar service will resume to the community and local businesses on St. Clair Avenue West between Lansdowne Avenue and Gunns loop.

With the return of streetcars along this section of St. Clair Avenue West, the entire 512 St. Clair route will be served by streetcars travelling on the new right-of-way from St. Clair Station at Yonge Street to the Gunns loop at Gunns Road.

On Tuesday, June 29th safety and operational tests will be conducted using a “test streetcarâ€, which will operate along this section of the new right-of-way. The test streetcar will not be picking up customers during its operation.

The design and construction techniques used to build the new streetcar right-of-way track infrastructure on St. Clair Avenue West will contribute to a measurable improvement to the long-term performance of the track and concrete pavement, as well as providing a smoother and quieter ride for streetcar passengers.

The TTC would like to thank area residents, businesses and its customers for their patience and support during the various stages of the project.

No update on the bus services to Gunns loop at the moment. Only the streetcar service is mentioned.

Last edited:
I wish they had taken the opportunity to extend the streetcar as far as Jane Street now. I live on Runnymede, and crossing under the rail corridor to that section of St. Clair feels like crossing into a 3rd world country. The road is a mess, especially between Gunns Rd and Runnymede.

You might want to view this presentation from the ST.Clair Avenue Study from Keele to Scarlett Road.
It does contain some info with regards to your comments.
I beleive there will be another final presentation once it's all approved, you can contact
the City Project Manager "Paul Bain" for more info.

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/stclair_keeleweston.htm

What's New

St. Clair Avenue West - Public Meeting: June 7, 2010
Presentation (16 MB PDF)

Pg. 12 of the Presentation

Environmental Assessment for LRT
Funding approved for
Study. To start after
Jane St. EA is
Extension: Gunns to Scarlett

Funding approved for
Study. To start after
Jane St. EA is Completed

Environmental Assessment: Jane St.
LRT

Underway, expected
completion late
Spring/Summer 2010

The EA for the ROW extension will not surface until 2011. The EA has been ready to go these past few years, but with the mess it was decided to wait a year after the ROW open to start it.

An EA was done and approved to widen St Clair to 4 lanes from Keele to Cobalt last year with construction to start this year. It will be done from Gunns Rd now with no provision for an ROW and that was a mistaken not to do so.

Why am I not surprised? I saw the TTC flyer in the library today, but given how westbound traffic has been diverted onto the streetcar line between Old Weston and Keele AGAIN today, and some sort of utility work was blocking the eastbound lane in the same area this morning, this is just another example of the TTC and the city utterly failing to get their collective shit together.

St. Clair between Gunns Rd and Runnymede is a moonscape. Some of the money wasted on this boondoggle should have gone there ages ago. Spadina is wide enough to support a ROW: St. Clair isn't.

Joe Mihevc just state that the St. Clair streetcar will resume service all the way to Gunn's Loop tommorrow. Joe Mihevc posted that on Facebook.

Joe Mihevc just state that the St. Clair streetcar will resume service all the way to Gunn's Loop tommorrow. Joe Mihevc posted that on Facebook.

Until Saturday...

Starting 6:00 am, Saturday, July 3 until 11:59 pm, Sunday, July 4

St. Clair Avenue West will be closed, between Lansdowne Avenue and Dufferin Street during the Corso Italia Festival.

512 ST CLAIR streetcars will run between St Clair Station and Oakwood Loop.

The 512 ST CLAIR replacement bus will provided service between Gunns Loop, west of Keele Street and Oakwood Loop, diverting around the Festival via Lansdowne Avenue, Davenport Road and Dufferin Street, in both directions.

312 ST CLAIR all night buses will divert via Lansdowne Avenue, Davenport Road and Dufferin Street, in both directions.

I would have thought the streetcars would continue on through on their right-of-way. However, knowing how some people can't hear or hear the streetcars as they walk aimlessly across the right-of-way, I guess they have to suspend streetcar service during the festival.

There were actually streetcars running out to Keele today. It's been 5 years since I've seen them this far west.

Rode the 512 on Canada Day. The 2-hour timed transfer was still being used, was able to get off and on using a single fare. How long will the timed transfer last?

No streetcar service west of Oakwood this weekend (June 3rd and 4th) due to the Corso Italia Festival.

Starting 6:00 am, Saturday, July 3 until 11:59 pm, Sunday, July 4

St. Clair Avenue West will be closed, between Lansdowne Avenue and Dufferin Street during the Corso Italia Festival.

512 ST CLAIR streetcars will run between St Clair Station and Oakwood Loop.

The 512 ST CLAIR replacement bus will provided service between Gunns Loop, west of Keele Street and Oakwood Loop, diverting around the Festival via Lansdowne Avenue, Davenport Road and Dufferin Street, in both directions.

312 ST CLAIR all night buses will divert via Lansdowne Avenue, Davenport Road and Dufferin Street, in both directions.

Why they won't let the streetcars through the temporary pedestrian mall, like they do in Europe, I don't know. Must be afraid, very afraid.

[video=youtube;KxCudfxrdcI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxCudfxrdcI[/video]

Still no real transit priority on St. Clair. The single driver cars (1.3 people per vehicle) making left turns still get priority over transit. Why put in far-side platforms if transit is not getting priority that they deserve.

Back