News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

So, what will all the doomsday proclaimers say when the streetcars don't derail, and are able to run just fine on the drunken sailor laid tracks?

The turns will add a total of 10 seconds to the trip time from end to end due to the line not being a straight line! Its HORRIBLE!!!

I biked down St. Clair from Yonge to Keele today. I was passed by a street car at Christie. It seemed like it was going quite fast.

I think people have already said this, but the tracks look much better in person than in the pictures.

Ride the PCC Dec 19 on St Clair New ROW

The 2 PCC will be operating on St Clair from St Clair W Station to Lansdowne Loop on Sat from 11 am to 4 pm.

One car will have a historian on it and a choir on the other.

Posters in the shelters and a banner on the cars

I was trying to get the Peter Witt leading follow by the 2 PCC's and then 4000, 4001 as the first 2 CLRV's built. Then follow by 4010, 4011, the first 2 built here with 4200 bring up the rear. An LRT on the rear of the 4200 would be even better.

Not a good time of the year for the Witt and all this may happen at the Official opening in May 2010.

We will get a chance to take a roller coaster ride.

Last edited:
The turns will add a total of 10 seconds to the trip time from end to end due to the line not being a straight line! Its HORRIBLE!!!

I don't think anyone argued seriously that the streetcars will be derailing. For me personally, I think it looks like a sloppy job and I find it extremely aesthetically displeasing. The same reason I don't like roads that jog or deviate from the grid (e.g. Mavis Rd between Britannia and Eglinton).

Just curious, but how much of a time/speed advantage will this new LRT be over the old 512 car? Gunns Rd to St Clair Stn typically took as long as 55 minutes to complete at around 15kph. Will there be any features such as queue jumping and TSP to help minimize headways? I know the info's probably here but navigating through 65 pages is a bit time-consuming.

Just curious, but how much of a time/speed advantage will this new LRT be over the old 512 car? Gunns Rd to St Clair Stn typically took as long as 55 minutes to complete at around 15kph. Will there be any features such as queue jumping and TSP to help minimize headways? I know the info's probably here but navigating through 65 pages is a bit time-consuming.

I don't remember exactly. Something like 5-8 minutes IIRC.

I don't think there've been any features added to make it move any faster. They say they've made this change to bolster reliability, not to improve scheduled times drastically.

I don't remember exactly. Something like 5-8 minutes IIRC.

I don't think there've been any features added to make it move any faster. They say they've made this change to bolster reliability, not to improve scheduled times drastically.

That's nothing to laugh at ...

The TTC's main problem on most routes is not the frequency they operate at but the reliability. If they can address this I'd call it a success.

More on the reopening festivities!

This Sunday, December 12 the overhead wires on the street car right-of-way were energized; beginning on Monday and throughout the week, TTC streetcars are being tested on the tracks (You will be able to see them though not board them). Full service is on track (pun!) to begin on Sunday December 20 between Yonge St in the east to the Earlscourt Loop by Lansdowne in the west.

Special Event: All invited

Save Saturday, December 19 for a fun shop local event from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. when there will be free rides on two TTC heritage streetcars between Bathurst and Lansdowne. The heritage streetcars are the red-maroon and yellow "Presidents' Conference Committee" streetcars that first operated in Toronto in the late 1930s and ended in the mid-1980s. These PCC streetcars are a real treat that will take you down memory lane to Toronto's past. The attachments are the PCC on St Clair from 1973.

The Hillcrest Village Choir will be performing for much of the day on one streetcar, and Toronto historian Mike Filey will be speaking about local history on the other. This is a great opportunity to come to St. Clair to enjoy a rare ride and support local businesses by finishing some last minute holiday shopping or enjoying a St Clair meal with friends and family.

The basic idea is have local residents support local businesses along the strip and use the PCC streetcars to jump on and off at your pleasure. So you may want to have a brunch or lunch at a local eatery, and then catch the streetcar as it comes by, make a big loop and return to where you began, perhaps jumping off at a store that you always wanted to check out. Boarding the streetcar will be from the new passenger islands.

From Joe Mihevc's online newsletter

The entire ROW is one long queue-jump lane.

I'm curious to see if they actively use the white bar advance at Vaughan Road for the 512 streetcars. I know the 512 buses use it now, but they have to do a weird lane change to get out of and into the ROW at that intersection.

I haven't seen the white-bar at Spadina come on since about a week after the ROW opened, for neither the 512 or 33. I heard it was "confusing the car drivers" too much so they deactivated it entirely.

I suspect they might turn it off here too and then send the westbound 90 along outside to ROW.

I'm curious to see if they actively use the white bar advance at Vaughan Road for the 512 streetcars. I know the 512 buses use it now, but they have to do a weird lane change to get out of and into the ROW at that intersection.

I haven't seen the white-bar at Spadina come on since about a week after the ROW opened, for neither the 512 or 33. I heard it was "confusing the car drivers" too much so they deactivated it entirely.

I suspect they might turn it off here too and then send the westbound 90 along outside to ROW.

I would like to see them implement these signals (if there is real traffic priority):
744px-Public_transportation_traffic_lights_in_NL_and_BE.svg.png

The signals mean (from left to right): "go straight ahead", "go left", "go right", "go in any direction" (like the "green" of a normal traffic light), "stop, unless the emergency brake is needed" (equal to "yellow"), and "stop" (equal to "red").

Here's how the tram signal look like in Europe (the dots below the regular traffic signals):
%D0%A2-%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D1%81%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%80.JPG

Last edited:
Phase IV

My comments are on the video shot Dec 15 for Phase IV as well on the video.

I was just looking at St Clair on Google Maps... I wonder whether the reason that they never took the streetcar west of Gunns Loop is that there's a level crossing on St Clair about halfway between Gunns Rd and Runnymede Rd?

Isn't the Gunns loop further west than the terminus once was? And I'm wondering whether the "end of the line" here was a vestige of former municipal boundaries...

Back