Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I can't remember whether it was for North York Center or when they added Downsview, but does anyone else remember how they changed the maps on trains by putting stickers over the new parts? Like nfitz said, the perfect time would be when the new line opens.

I can't remember whether it was for North York Center or when they added Downsview, but does anyone else remember how they changed the maps on trains by putting stickers over the new parts? Like nfitz said, the perfect time would be when the new line opens.

The problem is if you wait, then suddenly "Downsview" will have physically moved one station. If you change it to Sheppard West now, give people some time to get used to it, and THEN add the new Downsview Park station.

Yeah, logistically it'd make more sense to change the maps once, but it would be confusing. It's confusing enough that Sheppard West became Downsview and is now becoming Sheppard West again. And the station planned as Sheppard West is being named Downsview Park.

EDIT:

I noticed no one has posted the map in the TTC Station Name proposal so I'll do so. The link is, again here: http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...upplementary_Reports/Toronto_York_Spadina.pdf. And this is the image from that PDF:

5043548648_8c638d2b7b_b.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer street names to neighbourhood names. I'd have a much easier time associating with 'Finch Station on the Spadina line' than I would 'Chesswood Station' had they gone that route. I'm sure that we'd be better off having multiple stations with the same name, than if we go a route where neighbourhood names are used. Neighbourhood names can either be too general - think of how big Malvern is, or too obscure - city wide, how many people actually know where the neighbourhood called 'Chesswood' is?

I prefer street names to neighbourhood names. I'd have a much easier time associating with 'Finch Station on the Spadina line' than I would 'Chesswood Station' had they gone that route. I'm sure that we'd be better off having multiple stations with the same name, than if we go a route where neighbourhood names are used. Neighbourhood names can either be too general - think of how big Malvern is, or too obscure - city wide, how many people actually know where the neighbourhood called 'Chesswood' is?

Except for the fact that the station is going to be more or less at Chesswood and Sheppard? Makes sense to have the name.

But if nobody knows where chesswood is, then it isn't meaningful. I expect more people know where downsview park is.

actually, chesswood is the name of the street:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...341,-79.474368&spn=0.014352,0.027595&t=h&z=15

Sheppard Street is a tiny side street, and if a station were ever built there it would probably be called Bay-Adelaide or something like that.

But if nobody knows where chesswood is, then it isn't meaningful. I expect more people know where downsview park is.

There's a lot of Bloor-Danforth stations then that I suspect don't meet your approval.

Chester? Castle Frank? Runnymede? Old Mill? All are not-so-huge roads.

Those Bloor-Danforth stations at least has some residential in the area. Sheppard West, aka Chesswood, has very little residential homes surrounding it. There is a hotel, ice arena, and small industrial and commercial, however. Most likely a bus service coming down Chesswood or Steeprock may have to supply the additional ridership required. Unless someone decides to fly in and set up a terminal at the north end of Downsview airport for commercial flights, highly unlikely.

Agreed that it's not the greatest location for a station for servicing much of anything, but it is about as close as you could get a station to Downsview Park given the way the line has to be heading north towards Finch and York U.

There are long term plans to have more development on the Downsview lands:

http://www.downsviewpark.ca/eng/illustrations.shtml

Agreed that it's not the greatest location for a station for servicing much of anything, but it is about as close as you could get a station to Downsview Park given the way the line has to be heading north towards Finch and York U.

There are long term plans to have more development on the Downsview lands:

http://www.downsviewpark.ca/eng/illustrations.shtml

It should be better than what there is now. Hope it happens.

NeighbourhoodMap_28Jan2010.jpg

Back