Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The extra fare is already paid to YRT for its buses to feed the stations in Vaughan. A lot of the cost of a subway rider is in bus ride to the station. Since the TTC doesn't have to pay for this, its costs may actually be lower to take riders from York Region.

The extra fare is already paid to YRT for its buses to feed the stations in Vaughan. A lot of the cost of a subway rider is in bus ride to the station. Since the TTC doesn't have to pay for this, its costs may actually be lower to take riders from York Region.

No, completely ignoring how passengers get to the subway in Vaughan (whether they walk in off the street or take a YRT bus), simply running TTC subways for that extra stretch into Vaughan will cost the TTC about $10 million more per year than they would take in from fares on the new subway.

nfitz has proposed one possible solution (charging extra to enter the TTC stations in Vaughan), but I don't believe that idea has been floated yet by the TTC when it comes to their fare structure. Maybe it is something they would consider. Maybe it would be too politically unpalatable and they'd choose instead to swallow that extra cost (using money that could otherwise be spent on transit within the boundaries of the city that actually subsidizes their operation).

Maybe it is something they would consider. Maybe it would be too politically unpalatable and they'd choose instead to swallow that extra cost (using money that could otherwise be spent on transit within the boundaries of the city that actually subsidizes their operation).
I'd think the first option is that they would approach Region of York and ask them to pay for it.

If my memory serves me correctly they were pretty late in the day before they announced how Montreal was dealing with Laval metro stations.

My guess is that there will be little mention of it until 2014 when they start thinking about 2015 budget. Perhaps not even until after the election in October 2014.

I agree that it makes more sense for York Region to swallow a per person subsidy for the riders that enter from the two stations in York Region, and swallow the cost of accepting transfers from the subway at those stations. With the extension YRT buses with less passengers per driver than the subway are required to drive longer distances to get to the subway. Since those buses are not operated in the black they are loosing less by driving less. In addition the subway being close and a free transfer should get more paying customers. York could collect the revenues for people who arrive at the stations in York on foot, by GO, or by car to assist in their subsidy costs.

I have a feeling that Vaughn will fight this...I mean, no Metropolitain...end of the world...lol

Sheppard West makes sense to be at Allen Rd. The Sheppard line going to Downsview seems like done deal because of both Smithersman and Ford having them in their plan.

TTC has recommended the station names:

Sheppard West (Old Downsview Station) -> Downsview Park -> Finch West -> York University -> Steeles West -> Highway 407 -> Vaughn Centre

Source:
http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...upplementary_Reports/Toronto_York_Spadina.pdf

Sheppard Avenue is the main east-west intersecting street at this station site on a north-south subway line. As such, use of “Sheppard†in the station name is consistent with the majority of existing TTC stations, and with the Commission-approved policy on station names. Use of “West†in the station name helps avoid confusion with the existing Sheppard-Yonge Station, and is consistent with other station names on the Spadina Subway, which have “West†as part of the station name. The “Sheppard West†name provides useful geographic information for customers.
The present Downsview Station name is a problematic station name that fails to adequately identify the station for customers. Most significantly, the name does not tell customers that the station is located at Sheppard Avenue on a north-south subway; thus there is no specific geographic reference that would help customers locate themselves in our system. In addition, the station is not close to the historic community of Downsview, nor is it near to residential areas in the present Downsview-Roding-CFB neighbourhood. There is very poor walking access from Downsview Station to Downsview Park but, because of the station name, customers think that the park is easily accessible from the station. The next station to the north on the subway extension will better serve Downsview Park, than the station that is presently called “Downsviewâ€, which would add to confusion.

If Downsview is such a terrible name why did they call the station that in the first place?

If Downsview is such a terrible name why did they call the station that in the first place?

I've always thought the subway would be more interesting if all of the stations were named after their neighbourhoods rather than their streets. Sure, some of the dumber customers would get lost, but eventually they'd figure it out.

"Downsview Park" station is no closer to the park when you think about it. At least right now, no one knows what the future will hold. What's wrong with a name like Chesswood or Bakersfield? Sure they're not major streets but the TTC has a precident of using minor cross streets in it's station names (Bessarion I'm looking at you...). Furthermore at least that name will continue the practice of giving station names a geographic street reference.

"Downsview Park" station is no closer to the park when you think about it.
Looks a lot closer to the park to me; and if GO is going to call that new station on Sheppard as Downsview Park then it makes sense.

What's wrong with a name like Chesswood or Bakersfield?
Have you read the report? It does discuss what's wrong with those names.

Hopefully they'll rename Dowsview to Sheppard West station well before the extension opens so there's less confusion with Downsview Park station. I somehow doubt it though.

Looks a lot closer to the park to me; and if GO is going to call that new station on Sheppard as Downsview Park then it makes sense.

Have you read the report? It does discuss what's wrong with those names.

Silly nfitz. The first rule of internet message boards is you don't view posted links. :p

Anyway the TTC said this
"in an effort to make sure that station names are selected primarily to help people
navigate their way through the transit system, the TTC has never used any name
which is intended to promote or advertise nearby developments, commercial
enterprises, or attractions"

WRT to the Vaughan station, does Downsview Park not advertise a nearby attraction (Downsview Park)?

While it is closer to the park than current Downsview station it's hardly walking distance to the main features of the park so it would be slightly misleading to riders to suggest that the station will get them to the park. Imagine naming Dupont, Casa Loma station. It's close but the station will hardly get you to Casa Loma.

Co-Branding with Go. There are a number of GO stations co-located with subway stations that aren't co-branded with each other (Main comes to mind)

WRT using lesser known side streets, the ttc set a precedent with Bessarion (sic?), and the actual street is hardly very close to the station.

Perhaps its the best of a few sub optimal choices...

Whatever the reasoning, "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre" is much too long for a station name. Not to mention that there is absolutely nothing Metropolitan about Vaughan.

Back