Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I hope now that this line is over with, we can stop with the sprawl state of mind and focus our attention on building transit in the actual city. No more extending of the existing lines please.
In before Yonge North Subway Extension gets built before Relief Line South :p, but that would be quite unfortunate if it actually happens. However, there’s still the Scarborough Subway Extension to deal with :D.

Why? Is the world solely comprised of people who live it Toronto and those who want to be?
Whether or not annexation/amalgamation proceeds, having transportation planned and managed by one agency would be a win-win. The 905 needs to have better land use and transit; the 416 needs to get more 905-dwelling drivers off its roads. I've always been a fan of using passenger•km as the primary goal of transit.

By the way, when can we expect to get ridership numbers for the new stations? I expect the first few weeks will be slow with the holidays, than ramp up as the new semester starts at York.

Whether or not annexation/amalgamation proceeds, having transportation planned and managed by one agency would be a win-win.

We all look at this through our own lens.....but I can't imagine how I would "win" under "superlinx" type of regional agency....so I a firmly opposed.

I think it's actually better this way. Keele buses don't have to waste time going into a terminal, and can just stop outside the station and then continue their route.

They may have also done this with the Finch West LRT in mind since the 36 buses won't exist in 5 years.
After the UT meet up at the pub I waited at Tangiers to board an Eastbound bus. Then I noticed a bus going south on Tangeirs making a left to go East on Finch. Then I noticed the sign saying the bus stop was no longer in use. Had to schlep over a few blocks east.

We all look at this through our own lens.....but I can't imagine how I would "win" under "superlinx" type of regional agency....so I a firmly opposed.
You personally might not win, but on aggregate it's a good thing if TTC isn't thinking only of existing customers, if someone doesn't have to spend $15 round trip to go from finch to HWY 7, if transit agencies can have more say over land use, etc. Overall, it's still logical to invest the most where it will make the most difference (populated, well-travelled corridors like Queen for example). We would just hope that decisions aren't blindly imposed by out-of-touch people who know nothing about the reality of commuting in the city, which is where I recognize your fears.

You personally might not win, but on aggregate it's a good thing if TTC isn't thinking only of existing customers, if someone doesn't have to spend $15 round trip to go from finch to HWY 7, if transit agencies can have more say over land use, etc. Overall, it's still logical to invest the most where it will make the most difference (populated, well-travelled corridors like Queen for example). We would just hope that decisions aren't blindly imposed by out-of-touch people who know nothing about the reality of commuting in the city, which is where I recognize your fears.
When i compare my most commonly used bus route to similar routes in other 905 communities I don't see any that offer 7 minute frequencies during peak commuting hours....mine does....what I see is a range of frequencies that seems to be 15 - 30 minutes........so what I fear is some central agency saying "routes in the 905 with these sort of characteristics will have frequencies of X in all cases".....and X is far more likely to be 15 minutes than 7 minutes.

A central agency neuters a municipality/community that wants to (and has) invest in transit by adding service and frequency that will drive ridership up and forces "the norm" on them.

The busway remains in use for the 199 Finch Rocket.

2017-12-17_Polecards4.gif

Thanks,

I think this is a better visual btw for a to-scale map.

199_prp.png

By the way, when can we expect to get ridership numbers for the new stations? I expect the first few weeks will be slow with the holidays, than ramp up as the new semester starts at York.

It's expected to take about 3 years for the numbers to have any significance. In the meantime, people are exploring their options and agencies (especially YRT and GO) are tweaking their service. Expect to see some big changes to connecting bus services this coming April and September, which would impact the numbers.

When i compare my most commonly used bus route to similar routes in other 905 communities I don't see any that offer 7 minute frequencies during peak commuting hours....mine does....what I see is a range of frequencies that seems to be 15 - 30 minutes........so what I fear is some central agency saying "routes in the 905 with these sort of characteristics will have frequencies of X in all cases".....and X is far more likely to be 15 minutes than 7 minutes.

A central agency neuters a municipality/community that wants to (and has) invest in transit by adding service and frequency that will drive ridership up and forces "the norm" on them.

This is exactly why merging the TTC with Metrolinx is not all that good. Metrolinx has to be accountable to the people of Ontario despite the TTC being in Toronto. With that in mind, they would gut service in Toronto to placate the voters of Ontario otherwise they would be asked why Toronto gets better service than the 905 when they are paying to run the TTC.

When I worked in Mississauga (and even now when I visit there), service is not that frequent. 15 minute frequencies would be a godsend in the 905

This is exactly why merging the TTC with Metrolinx is not all that good. Metrolinx has to be accountable to the people of Ontario despite the TTC being in Toronto. With that in mind, they would gut service in Toronto to placate the voters of Ontario otherwise they would be asked why Toronto gets better service than the 905 when they are paying to run the TTC.

When I worked in Mississauga (and even now when I visit there), service is not that frequent. 15 minute frequencies would be a godsend in the 905
I am telling you...I live in the 905....on a secondary route (ie. not one of our express/Rapid Transit routes) and I have 7 minute frequencies....it would not just be the TTC that would have it's service questioned....places like where i live would be looked at and service cut back to be like the rest of the 905.

Makes sense. The 109 in Mississauga was every 10 minutes.

I am telling you...I live in the 905....on a secondary route (ie. not one of our express/Rapid Transit routes) and I have 7 minute frequencies....it would not just be the TTC that would have it's service questioned....places like where i live would be looked at and service cut back to be like the rest of the 905.

the 109 is a limited stop "express"/BRT lite type service....no?

Are there many other "regular" bus routes in the 905 that have 7 minute rush hour service on similar roads to Kennedy Road in Brampton?

by choice, I live a very suburban setting.....on a court, without sidewalks and backing onto a golf course....yet, I can (and do) walk a mere 400 metres to this sort of morning bus service.

upload_2017-12-18_17-36-12.png

Not sure that any "Superlinx" type set up would allow that to continue.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-18_17-36-12.png
    upload_2017-12-18_17-36-12.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 290

Back