Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

the 109 is a limited stop "express"/BRT lite type service....no?

Are there many other "regular" bus routes in the 905 that have 7 minute rush hour service on similar roads to Kennedy Road in Brampton?

by choice, I live a very suburban setting.....on a court, without sidewalks and backing onto a golf course....yet, I can (and do) walk a mere 400 metres to this sort of morning bus service.

View attachment 130628

Not sure that any "Superlinx" type set up would allow that to continue.

The 3 bloor has 10 minute frequencies in Mississauga.

When i compare my most commonly used bus route to similar routes in other 905 communities I don't see any that offer 7 minute frequencies during peak commuting hours....mine does....what I see is a range of frequencies that seems to be 15 - 30 minutes........so what I fear is some central agency saying "routes in the 905 with these sort of characteristics will have frequencies of X in all cases".....and X is far more likely to be 15 minutes than 7 minutes.

A central agency neuters a municipality/community that wants to (and has) invest in transit by adding service and frequency that will drive ridership up and forces "the norm" on them.

What's more realistic (if there's political will at the provincial level) is keeping the local transit providers for local service, but imposing a fare structure for the entire GTHA and a method of splitting fares between transit agencies when someone's trip involves more than one of them. Then each municipality can decide to what extent it wants to subsidize transit.

Yes, much better. Where is it from?

The internet!

I googled...no idea.

https://www.ttc.ca/Spadina/index.jsp

Here somewhere
Here:
B26B80D7-38E2-4951-A3DB-88D441DE99AE.jpeg

Attachments

• B26B80D7-38E2-4951-A3DB-88D441DE99AE.jpeg
    B26B80D7-38E2-4951-A3DB-88D441DE99AE.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 237
What's more realistic (if there's political will at the provincial level) is keeping the local transit providers for local service, but imposing a fare structure for the entire GTHA and a method of splitting fares between transit agencies when someone's trip involves more than one of them. Then each municipality can decide to what extent it wants to subsidize transit.
That makes sense, but what I read more and more is the “ need” to create this super agency idea that plans and runs all services......that, I believe, is a mistake.

So - did anyone ride this thing today? How was the ridership?
I used it.

Got on at York U about 10:20 this morning to head south.

Ridership was very thin/light at that time. My first reaction was “that is to be expected, students are on exams.....so they aren’t all here”.....then I realized that the two trains on the platform as I got down there looked like they delivered (combined) about half as many people to campus as the 501A I just got off (non-articulated “short” Zum bus).

Left work st 5:50......subway ran slow for some reason......got to York U station around 6:40.....no more than 10 people got off there....and there was not many more than that left on the train.

All that ssid, spot observations of a service can be skewed by a variety of things.....so take all of it with a grain of salt and try to wait for official numbers over a longer “normalized “ period of time.

I used it.

Got on at York U about 10:20 this morning to head south.

Ridership was very thin/light at that time. My first reaction was “that is to be expected, students are on exams.....so they aren’t all here”.....then I realized that the two trains on the platform as I got down there looked like they delivered (combined) about half as many people to campus as the 501A I just got off (non-articulated “short” Zum bus).

Left work st 5:50......subway ran slow for some reason......got to York U station around 6:40.....no more than 10 people got off there....and there was not many more than that left on the train.

All that ssid, spot observations of a service can be skewed by a variety of things.....so take all of it with a grain of salt and try to wait for official numbers over a longer “normalized “ period of time.
I shall form no snap judgments, but I was playing to the crowd.

So - did anyone ride this thing today? How was the ridership?

I traveled northbound from St.George at about 10am. The train I was on was taken out of service at Wilson and everyone had to get off and wait for the next train (at least 50 people). The next train was right behind, but it took a good 10 minutes until the first train had cleared the route (I assume that's because it had to cross the southbound tracks in order to get into the Wilson Yard. Two southbound trains passed the station before the out-of-service train left).
The ridership on the second train was substantial, I would guess every second or third seat was occupied. Most passengers got off at York University. All in all it took me 45 minutes to get from St. George to York University (I timed it, and was disappointed with the result).

On the way back at 2:30 pm it took 28 minutes to get to St. George. Ridership looked similar. After Yorkdale most seats were taken.

I traveled northbound from St.George at about 10am. The train I was on was taken out of service at Wilson and everyone had to get off and wait for the next train (at least 50 people). The next train was right behind, but it took a good 10 minutes until the first train had cleared the route (I assume that's because it had to cross the southbound tracks in order to get into the Wilson Yard. Two southbound trains passed the station before the out-of-service train left).
The ridership on the second train was substantial, I would guess every second or third seat was occupied. Most passengers got off at York University. All in all it took me 45 minutes to get from St. George to York University (I timed it, and was disappointed with the result).

On the way back at 2:30 pm it took 28 minutes to get to St. George. Ridership looked similar. After Yorkdale most seats were taken.
Thank you. 45 to York U is insane.

Any time-machine bandits out there who might have some ideas (or knowledge) of what kind of future development might grow up around some of these futuristic transit outposts? Thinking specifically of Downsview, Pioneer and 407 and some realistic timescales for each.

If Bombardier ever goes nips-up then that would leave 200 - 300 hectares of available land for super high density communities surrounding Downsview Stn.

The two York stations will be okay from the get go, though there seem to be lots of smaller land parcels scattered about that could be intensified and provide additional traffic in future decades.

The 407 transitway seems about the only hope for a station that could be the most egregious and/or iconic Canadian transit white elephant since Mirabel (the Shepherd line isn't really photogenic enough to play that role.)

VMC seems to have the most long-term potential based on the projections and plans thus far.

The original Yonge Subway created clusters at St Claire and Eglinton. The extension added more clusters at York Mills, Shepherd, NYC and Finch. So maybe this line will spur intense suburban intensity like we've never see. But it'll definitely take 2 or 3 more generations before that eventuality, as well as a huge amount land-use rezonings.

I doubt I'll be around long enough to witness most of that. The tunnels will be there for at least the next 100 - 200 years and I'm optimistic that at some time they'll run at full capacity, and possibly even be extended northward to a year round CW. (if a monorail or rollercoaster can't do the trick)

But when the passenger #s come over the next 3 months for this extension, it ain't going to be pretty, and there will be lots of blowback from both the left and the right on the OTT extravagance in relation to its modest use. (The King Street car alone will continue to carry far more people than this extension.) The Media and TPTB might find it a refreshing idea to champion a line that will be at--or near capacity--from day one. i.e the DRL.

Last edited:

Back