Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The line could still have been elevated where it wouldn’t have bothered anyone and have upstairs stations as simple as Keele or High Park and it still would have done as good a job.

So - did anyone ride this thing today? How was the ridership?

upload_2017-12-19_10-3-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-19_10-3-11.png
    upload_2017-12-19_10-3-11.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 369
Unfortunately, with the history of how little snow hits the open section of Line 1 but slows down or even halts the subway trains, maybe its a good thing that the extension is all underground. I keep hearing of snow squalls hitting north of Highway 407 and just flurries south of it.

One day maybe all outside sections could be domed over with something see through to make it weatherproof, and could also be used to block sound out too.

One day maybe all outside sections could be domed over with something see through to make it weatherproof, and could also be used to block sound out too.

I've always thought something like this, though with maybe more glass, would be a suitable option:
12.jpg

I hope now that this line is over with, we can stop with the sprawl state of mind and focus our attention on building transit in the actual city. No more extending of the existing lines please.
I think we are being too harsh on this extension. I've read like 4 or 5 hit-pieces on the Spadina Extension on the Star and other sites already.

It is a useful extension.

Finch West will be connected to an LRT route and is currently a high ridership bus route. York University and Pioneer Station will be immensly useful to York University students and also serve the Steeles West bus.

As we do know well, getting this subway to Vaughan is the only way to get everyone at the table to fund the subway. I'm not going to be pessimistic over Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station, as Vaughan has to meet its intensification within the built area targets and does intend to build its downtown around this station, much like Markham is doing. Which you know what, fair enough.

The two stations that won't be making particularly useful are Downsview and Hwy-407 stations, but at that point we may as well have built them otherwise we would be dealing with 3-4km stop spacing. I don't know how many people will use Hwy-407 for park-and-ride or kiss-and-go, but if it ends up being any substantial number then that station may well end up being another spoke in the wheel of our rapid transit network.

It's built, our subway network has expanded, and we've definitely will have removed riders from the Yonge line and cars off the road. I am tired of the whining and bemoaning about this line I am hearing from the Star. It may not have the highest ridership, but it is a useful extension serving various trip and commuter purposes and strengthens the overall network. You know what else did not have high ridership at first and caused the TTC to not run weekend service for a little while post-construction? The University line from Union to St. George.

I HATE the lack of the railfan windows. Can't look out the front (or back) of the train as we enter or egress the stations, unless the cab door is open (which is unlikely).

Subway_train_rendering_Super_Portrait.jpg

Note to the TTC. On the next subway train order, make sure there is a railfan window. Especially if ATC could eliminate the cab entirely, as they do in other parts of the world.
driverless-train.jpg

I think we are being too harsh on this extension. I've read like 4 or 5 hit-pieces on the Spadina Extension on the Star and other sites already.

It is a useful extension.

It's built, our subway network has expanded, and we've definitely will have removed riders from the Yonge line and cars off the road. I am tired of the whining and bemoaning about this line I am hearing from the Star. It may not have the highest ridership, but it is a useful extension serving various trip and commuter purposes and strengthens the overall network. You know what else did not have high ridership at first and caused the TTC to not run weekend service for a little while post-construction? The University line from Union to St. George.

Well said. There may be something dumber than criticizing a major piece of infrastructure on opening day ("I went to VMC at 9:30 yesterday and there were so many seats on the subway! What a waste!") but I'm not sure what it is. It's not the new Star Wars movie, built to have a major haul in the first few days and then trail off over a few weeks. It's a generational investment.

I don't know why it's hard for people to wrap their heads around the difference between "build it and they will come" and "build it where it makes sense." VMC will definitely intensify. It will definitely be density that would otherwise not have been there and it will house Vaughan residents who would otherwise have lived on the urban fringe, or who knows where. It will be on land that Smart Centres would have turned into something ghastly if policy and the subway hadn't made it worthwhile for them to do something different and genuinely ambitious.

Whether it can truly be a "downtown" for Vaughan, as envisioned, is something that won't be known for decades. North York Centre (which, yes, has missed its jobs targets) has become a vibrant, urban neighbourhood. It took nearly 30 years.

Of course, if the pundits WANT to see a piece of infrastructure that will be crowded on opening day, they're free to extend the Yonge subway any time they like :)

It's also the holidays not saying it's completely unrealistic, but I think mid January would be a better first-indicator.

I agree, but since @TransitBart was asking...

I will say that so far this week, I notice the Spadina line seemed a little less busy than usual. Southbound in the morning, usually all the seats are gone after Wilson station (even before the TYSSE), but this morning there were still plenty of seats available at that point. As you said, it's the holidays.

I HATE the lack of the railfan windows. Can't look out the front (or back) of the train as we enter or egress the stations, unless the cab door is open (which is unlikely).

Note to the TTC. On the next subway train order, make sure there is a railfan window. Especially if ATC could eliminate the cab entirely, as they do in other parts of the world.

ok sure you can note that up. I'm sure TTC will put fanatics' desires above all else...Sorry but the world doesnt revolve around fans and this is not an entertainment business

driverless-train.jpg
I really liked this as a kid, always dragged my mom to the front or back of the train of the H-series.

That being said, the main reason I would specifically sought out railfan windows is if eliminating the cab can expand the capacity of the train.

ok sure you can note that up. I'm sure TTC will put fanatics' desires above all else...Sorry but the world doesnt revolve around fans and this is not an entertainment business

Then maybe they should get rid of the fabric covered seats and get rid of the front & back facing seats.

NYC_Subway_R160_9800_Interior_with_Double_Stanchions.jpg

No thanks. We're not cattle.

Back