Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I am puzzled that a single 13-m tunnel is expected to be cheaper than two 6-m tunnels. The cross-section is 3.14 * D * D / 4, which gives 33 sq. m for the 13-m tunnel, versus 7 x 2 = 14 sq. m for two 6-m tunnels together. In other words, much more soil needs to be extracted for the 13-m tunnel.

There should be some saving from the fact that 13-m tunnel is large enough for station boxes, but does it offset the higher boring volume between stations?

I think station costs make up a huge portion of subway construction... I bet the savings much more than offset the higher volume.

I am puzzled that a single 13-m tunnel is expected to be cheaper than two 6-m tunnels. The cross-section is 3.14 * D * D / 4, which gives 33 sq. m for the 13-m tunnel, versus 7 x 2 = 14 sq. m for two 6-m tunnels together. In other words, much more soil needs to be extracted for the 13-m tunnel.

There should be some saving from the fact that 13-m tunnel is large enough for station boxes, but does it offset the higher boring volume between stations?

Don't we have to cut and cover all stations to build in the mezzanines and various other infrastructure such as elevators, escalators, staircases, ventilation shafts, etc...?

Don't we have to cut and cover all stations to build in the mezzanines and various other infrastructure such as elevators, escalators, staircases, ventilation shafts, etc...?

The ventilation shafts and elevators require little area on the surface to install. Only the stairs and escalators would require a significant amount surface area and that is still a small fraction of the area that would need to be dug out for the entire platform. The bulk of the stair and escalator space would likely be located under the entrance building which would be a construction site anyways.

from today's Daily Commercial News....

SUBWAY EXTENSION Proj: 1309236-28

Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON PREPARING PLANS
Spadina Subway Extension Phase Two, Downsview Station to York University and to Steeles Ave, M3K
$200,000,000

Note: Tender for tunnel construction for structural improvement and tunneling between Downsview and the Wilson Yard has been issued by the Owner, and will be followed under report number 9104634. Working drawings for station design are underway. Detailed engineering design of tunnels and related construction of subway tracks are underway. Tender for Design/Build/Bid Contractors for station construction starting with Sheppard West station is expected early 2010. Owner anticipates one Contractor will be secured to build two or four stations at a time. Construction is expected to begin with Sheppard West station, July, 2010. The subsequent order of tender and construction of the line and stations will be determined early 2010. Further update January, 2010.

This report will now only follow the second phase of the extension. The Consultants are the Project Management Consultants for this project. The Cost Consultant will deliver project controls.

Project: proposed construction of underground tunnels and subways tracks for the further radial extension of the Spadina subway line North of Steeles Ave to Hwy 7 and extension of the Spadina Subway line North from Downsview Station for 6.2 km and cut and cover with stations for an additional 2.4 km. Stations proposed in this phase will be covered in the following report numbers: Steeles Ave West Station report number 6073415, Vaughan Corporate Centre Station, report number 9092076, and the Highway 407 Transitway Station, report number 9092083.
Development: Engineering
Category: Tunnels, subways; Railroads; Misc engineering

Very good news that it's getting started.

Ah, Sheppard West. The station is being built on a cut-and-cover section of the subway and it's going to be the least busy station on the extension. There is absolutely no reason why it should have a vast mezzanine.

Ah, Sheppard West. The station is being built on a cut-and-cover section of the subway and it's going to be the least busy station on the extension. There is absolutely no reason why it should have a vast mezzanine.

it could be a interchange one day between the sheppard line & YUS line, if the western extension of the sheppard line ever happens. maybe that extra space could be useful then?

it could be a interchange one day between the sheppard line & YUS line, if the western extension of the sheppard line ever happens. maybe that extra space could be useful then?

I doubt it. The TTC's obsession with massive and horribly overbuilt subway stations is just stupid, if you ask me.

sorry, i got sheppard west confused with downsview station. i made a mistake. downsview station would be logical spot for the interchange.

It's not all bad. At least the architect for the multi-thousand square foot mezzanine will have been chosen from an international design competition.

sorry, i got sheppard west confused with downsview station. i made a mistake. downsview station would be logical spot for the interchange.

I actually think Sheppard West makes the more logical choice due to the GO Station. If GO is to be properly integrated into the transit fabric of the city it needs fare integration and transportation hubs. If Sheppard is extended westward to allow trains access to the Wilson Yard the trackwork is much simpler if the wye occurs east of the station and the line avoids Downsview completely.

Some interesting developments going on along Sheppard West between Yonge and the Allen. Although it probably won't be at a point where it'll justify a subway line in the next 20-30 years. Especially with the Finch West LRT in place and when Eglinton will already have a Subway ready tunnel ready built and waiting for its day.

Last edited:
Some interesting developments going on along Sheppard West between Yonge and the Allen. Although it probably won't be at a point where it'll justify a subway line in the next 20-30 years. Especially with the Finch West LRT in place and when Eglinton will already have a Subway ready tunnel ready built and waiting for its day.
The Sheppard West extension almost already has enough development to justify a subway, but it would also have a massive ridership from those needing to get from the Spadina Line to the Yonge line quickly. Bloor would be the Southern Junction between the two, Eglinton the midtown, and Sheppard the northern. When Spadina gets extended, Sheppard West will very much be an important missing link in the chain.

Unfortunately, with our current leadership, it would seem that there will be NO subway development other than the Yonge and Spadina extensions, which are all due to York Region.

does anybody know when the subway yards study will be finished for the yonge extension, because depending on their outcome, a westerly extension of the sheppard suway may be needed to accomodate trains getting from a yard to the yonge line extension, so maybe because of both the spadina and the yonge extensions Toronto might just benefit from a west extension of Sheppard :p

Back