Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The TTC will soon complete a study on rail yards, needed to ensure there is a place to store the trains needed for the extension. Options could include a yard in Richmond Hill or Vaughan as well as expanding the Wilson yard and extending the Sheppard subway west, linking it with the Yonge line.

The list of subway projects currently under consideration only because of York Region's existence must be updated with this news:

- Extension of the Yonge line
- Extension of the Spadina line
- DRL (City of Toronto conceding that it may be necessary if Yonge is extended)
- Sheppard West (TTC considering this option if Yonge is extended)

The list of subway projects currently under consideration only because of York Region's existence must be updated with this news:

- Extension of the Yonge line
- Extension of the Spadina line
- DRL (City of Toronto conceding that it may be necessary if Yonge is extended)
- Sheppard West (TTC considering this option if Yonge is extended)

I can see how the proverbial "subways to nowhere" might not be everyone's choice of catalyst but strikes me that all of these things (and the automatic traffic control, and the upgrades to Bloor-Yonge) are 100 % good.

I mean, they have be paid for but the reality, fair or not, is that the best chance for a DRL is the Yonge extension going in first. And who knows when Sheppard might hook up to the Spadina line if the rail yards study doesn't deem it wise.

Aside from the fact we all have our senses of what we would do if given $X, and we all have our own priorities, I think all these projects under consideration are precisely what the TTC has long needed and if it's the "Sorbara" and Yonge lines that brought us to this point, so be it.

Obviously, when only part of a line is built, the tendency is to look at that lucky part and ask what's so special about it that it was built instead of other parts (which is a silly way to look at it, not that that stops anyone on this forum from doing so). Sheppard East replaced one of the busiest bus routes along one of the most congested streets in the city, connecting the Yonge corridor with one of the densest parts of the city outside of downtown...yet, it needs the segment over to Downsview to function properly.

Obviously, when only part of a line is built, the tendency is to look at that lucky part and ask what's so special about it that it was built instead of other parts (which is a silly way to look at it, not that that stops anyone on this forum from doing so). Sheppard East replaced one of the busiest bus routes along one of the most congested streets in the city, connecting the Yonge corridor with one of the densest parts of the city outside of downtown...yet, it needs the segment over to Downsview to function properly.

How far west should the Sheppard subway go in the medium-term? For the short-term, Downsview I think is sufficient. In the long-term, I'd say the airport. In the medium-term....I just don't know. What's affordable? What's needed?

How far west should the Sheppard subway go in the medium-term? For the short-term, Downsview I think is sufficient. In the long-term, I'd say the airport. In the medium-term....I just don't know. What's affordable? What's needed?

Do we need a medium-term? I mean, even if we do get a DRL, it'll likely end up stopping at Eglinton if it goes further north than the Bloor-Danforth line, not Sheppard. I think it should be Downsview and then Airport, personally.

I think Sheppard should only go as far west as Downsview to complete the network connection. Further west there is nothing of value to justify a subway extension. The Finch LRT is more than sufficient at servicing NW Toronto, and is the better route choice, given densities along Finch are higher than Sheppard (west of Yonge).

As for Spadina. when will we see some shovels in the ground already? It's about time we see some earth movement here. Announcements, more announcements, design, design. I'd like to see some tunneling work commence already. Or do we have to wait another 4 years before design is completed?

When is this extension supposed to open? 2016?

I think Sheppard should only go as far west as Downsview to complete the network connection. Further west there is nothing of value to justify a subway extension. The Finch LRT is more than sufficient at servicing NW Toronto, and is the better route choice, given densities along Finch are higher than Sheppard (west of Yonge).

As for Spadina. when will we see some shovels in the ground already? It's about time we see some earth movement here. Announcements, more announcements, design, design. I'd like to see some tunneling work commence already. Or do we have to wait another 4 years before design is completed?

When is this extension supposed to open? 2016?

Sheppard-Jane would be worth it

Sheppard/Jane would be useful, but I don't think justified in this csae. Since Keele/Sheppard is already getting a subway as part of the extension, and Jane/Finch will have the LRT, and Jane/Steeles is getting a subway, it would make a station at Sheppard/Jane a bit overkill, since most of the demand on Jane is north of Sheppard, closer to Finch.

Sheppard/Jane could be a long-term (20 years+) extension. Extension to Downsview is needed ASAP, and more so once Yonge and Spadina extensions are built.

Just out of curiosity just to imgaine, does anybody picture the spadina extension moving even further norht up Jane in the future? like maybe 20+yrs?, I mean i see a great potential for growth up there, and as well there's wonderland which would be a huge destination for visitors and workers alike. Ofcourse Wondelrand would only be an attraction for 5 months of the year, and then i guess there's vaughan mills and all the housing areas around there too, dunno I jsut like to imagine what it could be, does anybody think the same?

Sheppard/Jane would be useful, but I don't think justified in this csae. Since Keele/Sheppard is already getting a subway as part of the extension, and Jane/Finch will have the LRT, and Jane/Steeles is getting a subway, it would make a station at Sheppard/Jane a bit overkill, since most of the demand on Jane is north of Sheppard, closer to Finch.

Sheppard/Jane could be a long-term (20 years+) extension. Extension to Downsview is needed ASAP, and more so once Yonge and Spadina extensions are built.

I think if the subway is going ot be extended West might as well extend it all the way to Jane, so that *if the Jane LRT was ever built it could provide quicker access to the subway rather than having people go north take the spadina extension then tranfers onto the sheppard subway. But don't get me wrong, i'll be happy if it was just extended to Downsview, nope you won't see me complain one bit :)

If Spadina is extended north, I would think that the logical future end point would be Vaughan Mills. While Wonderland is close by, it's not a year-round destination to warrant a subway station. However, if Spadina is eventually extended to Vaughan Mills, then Wonderland can offer a quick shuttle service from Vaughan Mills. We're talking 30+ years here, but one can always dream.

well considering wonderland is owned by such a large company now, what if they funded the extension and it operated only on a seasonal basis, subsidized in some part by wonderland during those months of operation, a-la disneyland in HK, it would be a definite boon to their business...

jus daydreaming~ :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity just to imgaine, does anybody picture the spadina extension moving even further norht up Jane in the future? like maybe 20+yrs?, I mean i see a great potential for growth up there, and as well there's wonderland which would be a huge destination for visitors and workers alike. Ofcourse Wondelrand would only be an attraction for 5 months of the year, and then i guess there's vaughan mills and all the housing areas around there too, dunno I jsut like to imagine what it could be, does anybody think the same?

I read in a newspaper article some months ago (I *think* it was the Toronto Star) that York region chairman Bill Fisch was suggesting a possible northern terminus of the Jane LRT at Major Mackenzie Drive, as well as a Don Mills LRT northern terminus somewhere in the Beaver Creek area.

Building the Jane LRT to Maj Mac seems to make some sense, especially compared to the redundancy of having the line run basically parallel with the Spadina subway between Steeles and Hwy 7 without extending the line any further north.

Back