Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

if you guys are going to be all pissy about it, atleast I'm making REASONABLE recommendations for the replacement name to VCM. Mind you, no one seemed to CARE when I made the point that all TTC trains will have to have their front signage modified to accomodate the longer wider name of "Vaughan Centre Metropolitanian" or sometihng like that. right now the TTC window barely can fit the words "Downsview" on the front of its subway trains, if the Vaughan blabla bla... what ever u wanna call it is that long, no body seems to care? get with the program. im suggesting valid community names for a valid reason. oh and for sake, the town of willowdale covers all the stops of yonge-shepherd, north york centre, and finch. it would not make sense to call the middle one willowdale, north york centre is fine, since the city of north york encommpases the town of willowdale anyways. and when they hear centre, they know it will be in the centre of the city. maybe vaughan south might be a better name? or concord west? either way, concord is NOT a bad idea for a stop name at all, despite your dwindling support for the vaughan... lets just say VCM

Mind you, no one seemed to CARE when I made the point that all TTC trains will have to have their front signage modified to accomodate the longer wider name of "Vaughan Centre Metropolitanian" or sometihng like that.
I thought Stintz or someone made a comment when the vote was taken, that the front of the train would having something a lot simpler, because of the constraints of the signage. Vaughan likely - even if it was called Vaughan Centre. Hmm, maybe it was just chatter in this thread ...

Given the final vote about the Vaughan station name was done over 7 months ago, I don't see why there's a sudden need for a serious discussion about it now.

Last edited:
... no one seemed to CARE when I made the point that all TTC trains will have to have their front signage modified to accomodate the longer wider name of "Vaughan Centre Metropolitanian" or sometihng like that....

I would not be surprised that TTC will install scrolling LED signs on the trains soon. So then it doesn't matter how long the station name is. But if they don't, then they'll do something like "Vaughan M.C.".

A highway number wouldn't sound good for a subway stop. If it had a street name, that would be a good station name.

******** West

oh and for sake, the town of willowdale covers all the stops of yonge-shepherd, north york centre, and finch. it would not make sense to call the middle one willowdale, north york centre is fine, since the city of north york encommpases the town of willowdale anyways. and when they hear centre, they know it will be in the centre of the city. maybe vaughan south might be a better name? or concord west? either way, concord is NOT a bad idea for a stop name at all, despite your dwindling support for the vaughan... lets just say VCM

You had me with the point about Willowdale and then you lost me. (And there are neighbourhoods within Willowdale. Why not call Finch Station "Newtonbrook?") As I already said, Concord West is between Keele and Dufferin, not Jane and 407. It's all a moot point - the name is a done deal and the TTC seems to have established a new, rather random, naming policy.

The size of the train windows is not a reason to pick a station name. The fact that their used to be a community there is not a good name either. I'm sure there are some people in Wasaga who say they WORK in Concord but find me one who says they LIVE in Concord. It's not a neighbourhood, it's not a destination. At the end of the day, it's the same argument as saying the subway is the "subway to nowhere."

They are building a community for the FUTURE and giving it a name representing the past is pointless in that context. Most people will end up just saying "Vaughan" or "Vaughan Centre," anyway.

As for Strookie's comments that WalMart is coming down...I'll believe it when I see it. Obviously it's on borrowed time but I don't know how much they can do that close to the station. Last I heard, they hadn't even gotten their district plan past Vaughan council, much less zoning (though I could be wrong or out of date there). Smart Centres was denying it before but it would certainly get the ball rolling. Has anyone heard how long Tormont is hanging around?

Then we'll have to end up waiting decades to rename Black Creek Pioneer Village Station to Steeles West Station....

Why doesn't a Commissioner like Stintz propose making Black Creek Pioneer Village the subtitle? I really much prefer that solution.

The Commissioners have tried and failed. Can Council overturn this?

You had me with the point about Willowdale and then you lost me. (And there are neighbourhoods within Willowdale. Why not call Finch Station "Newtonbrook?") As I already said, Concord West is between Keele and Dufferin, not Jane and 407. It's all a moot point - the name is a done deal and the TTC seems to have established a new, rather random, naming policy.

The size of the train windows is not a reason to pick a station name. The fact that their used to be a community there is not a good name either. I'm sure there are some people in Wasaga who say they WORK in Concord but find me one who says they LIVE in Concord. It's not a neighbourhood, it's not a destination. At the end of the day, it's the same argument as saying the subway is the "subway to nowhere."

They are building a community for the FUTURE and giving it a name representing the past is pointless in that context. Most people will end up just saying "Vaughan" or "Vaughan Centre," anyway.

As for Strookie's comments that WalMart is coming down...I'll believe it when I see it. Obviously it's on borrowed time but I don't know how much they can do that close to the station. Last I heard, they hadn't even gotten their district plan past Vaughan council, much less zoning (though I could be wrong or out of date there). Smart Centres was denying it before but it would certainly get the ball rolling. Has anyone heard how long Tormont is hanging around?

God it's been a few months since I've been in that area but I though Tormont was all but gone from that area. Much of their property was to be a staging area for the subway construction. Though a quick look at their website shows them still listed at that address...

I suppose Vaughan Metropolitan Centre will be written out as Vghn Mtrpltn Cntr?

<bleep> it's been a few months since I've been in that area but I though Tormont was all but gone from that area. Much of their property was to be a staging area for the subway construction. Though a quick look at their website shows them still listed at that address...

Toromont is still standing firm in its place.

Almost all the staging for the VMC station is happening in the fields north of Hwy7. Very little of the Toromont property is affected at this moment except for the open area around their former driveway at Hwy 7. They were actually given temporary space to park a lot of their machinery over the land where the tunnelling will occur.

Already three or four years ago Toromont had firm plans in place to move to a location on Hwy 400 south of Barrie. Then the Ontario Government made a law banning all construction in that area (Oak Ridges Morraine) and there was a news report that Toromont was really upset. Ever since, Toromont has never again talked about moving from Jane and Hwy 7.

That's interesting. My recollection was that the province interfered by ALLOWING Toromont to move up to those lands, despite them being on the Moraine but whatever the legal situation is, they don't seem to be in the process of moving. That's a bit weird since they don't exactly fit into the future plans. All that streetscaping and rapid transit that will be there by 2015/16, to say nothing of the condos already selling across the street, don't fit so well with the parking lot for backhoes....

Looks there is a meeting coming up about the 2ndary Plan for VMC, in general. If you look at the schedules, the 2ndary Plan bisects the land and sets a MINIMUM target of five stories (2.5 FSI). Obviously it will take years and years to implement but still begs the question of how long Toromont can stay put.

All that streetscaping and rapid transit that will be there by 2015/16, to say nothing of the condos already selling across the street, don't fit so well with the parking lot for backhoes.

One of my favourite apartments to live in was next to a concrete plant; even my wife enjoyed watching it. Still remember the first sighting of "big pink" which was a breast cancer awareness concrete truck which as you might guess was solid pink and always extremely clean.

We sold the place shortly after the concrete plant was demo'd for additional condo construction.

An industrial view can keep things interesting. I would much prefer to see a sugar cane boat unloading or have a train yard outside my window than view another unchanging condo; and both are better than a nearby highway (Gardiner at least puts off a ton of thin black dust).

Toromont wouldn't be too bad of a neighbour.

Last edited:

Back