Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Already three or four years ago Toromont had firm plans in place to move to a location on Hwy 400 south of Barrie. Then the Ontario Government made a law banning all construction in that area (Oak Ridges Morraine) and there was a news report that Toromont was really upset.

I thought Toromont was forbidden from moving there because people complained about development jumping the greenbelt. I don't think the moraine goes up that far north.

One of my favourite apartments to live in was next to a concrete plant; even my wife enjoyed watching it. Still remember the first sighting of "big pink" which was a breast cancer awareness concrete truck which as you might guess was solid pink and always extremely clean.

We sold the place shortly after the concrete plant was demo'd for additional condo construction.

An industrial view can keep things interesting. I would much prefer to see a sugar cane boat unloading or have a train yard outside my window than view another unchanging condo; and both are better than a nearby highway (Gardiner at least puts off a ton of thin black dust).

Toromont wouldn't be too bad of a neighbour.

Are you serious? I can see why you might want to watch port activity in a harbor, but keeping a huge static factory building in a proposed city centre node?

Are you serious? I can see why you might want to watch port activity in a harbor, but keeping a huge static factory building in a proposed city centre node?

Yeah, I think I'd rather look at the activity around most factories than residential areas (highrise or lowrise); provided there were no health implications.

My personal tastes obviously aren't for everyone but I also don't think the large majority would refuse to move/work in the area due to the factory being there either.

Building out that area will take decades. Having a factory there in the interim is far better than an fenced off empty field or a gravel parking lot.

Yeah, I think I'd rather look at the activity around most factories than residential areas (highrise or lowrise); provided there were no health implications.

My personal tastes obviously aren't for everyone but I also don't think the large majority would refuse to move/work in the area due to the factory being there either.

Building out that area will take decades. Having a factory there in the interim is far better than an fenced off empty field or a gravel parking lot.

The factory being there may also drive some of the retail uses that will be in the bases of the condos, at least until the office components can pick that up.

My friend apartment overlooks the CP tracks at Islington Station. I love the view.

On Jane, the moraine is somewhere between Teston and Kirby.

On Keele, the moraine is somewhere between Major Mackenzie and Teston.

On Dufferin, the moraine is slightly south of Major Mackenzie.

Toromont might have to stay put. The moraine is too important environmentally for construction companies to hold their construction vehicles.

On Jane, the moraine is somewhere between Teston and Kirby.

On Keele, the moraine is somewhere between Major Mackenzie and Teston.

On Dufferin, the moraine is slightly south of Major Mackenzie.

Toromont might have to stay put. The moraine is too important environmentally for construction companies to hold their construction vehicles.

The moraine is where Liberal fundraisers do not have land for development. When the Conservatives get in it might be changed to where the Conservative fundraisers do not have land for development.

Last edited:
First of all, the Oak Ridges Moraine Act was passed under Harris. It was HE who made the deal with developers so....you're wrong there, 180-degrees.

Second of all, I believe Toromont was scheduled to move into the GREENBELT but not the Moraine (I mis-spoke/typed) earlier. It was in Bradford, well north of the ORM.

First of all, the Oak Ridges Moraine Act was passed under Harris. It was HE who made the deal with developers so....you're wrong there, 180-degrees.

Second of all, I believe Toromont was scheduled to move into the GREENBELT but not the Moraine (I mis-spoke/typed) earlier. It was in Bradford, well north of the ORM.

both made deals with developers.

http://hansardindex.ontla.on.ca/hansardECAT/38-1/L113A-6.htm

"A dozen developers were invited by the Liberal Party to the finance minister's home for an exclusive meeting with the two most powerful politicians in Ontario, and it cost them $10,000 each for that privilege. TVO obtained a letter addressed to you from one of the developers. The letter states that you were making promises to developers at the fundraiser regarding what lands would and would not be included in your greenbelt scheme. You seem incapable of keeping your promises to the public but quite happy to make them and keep them to those who can afford to pay."

"Premier, you have failed to release any scientific basis for the boundaries of your greenbelt and you were caught making promises to developers in return for a $10,000 cheque payable to the Ontario Liberal Party. This is what it looks like: It appears that the going rate is $10,000 a promise and that paying more taxes doesn't guarantee someone that your promises will be kept. It has to be a direct donation to your party."

Of course these are statements by the opposition so they are not 100% proof, and since the Liberals had a majority this issue was swept aside.

I can't help but think that the reason our subways always go over budget is the ridiculous designs of the new stations, next thing you know we'll be hiring frank gehry when all we need is something functional and cheap. We're already wasting money building a subway to suburbia (Vaughn) but now we need to make sure these stations that will never be used look really good?!?!

I can't help but think that the reason our subways always go over budget
What do you mean? Sheppard was on budget - slighly under if I remember. The Spadina extension is still on budget. I can't remember if Downsview station was on budget or not, but it was over 20 years ago they started on it, and I don't recall seeing stories about it being over budget.

"Functional and cheap" is regrettable when it comes to the Bloor-Danforth line stations. Those stations make using the system so dull that some people list scenery as a reason why they like streetcars--where they don't have to look at the same bathroom tiles for an hour or so every day of their lives. Hundreds of thousands of people use subway infrastructure every day. If there's a place to neglect architecture, art, creative engineering, and landscaping, it's not with subway stations. While massive stations designed by starchitects are not necessary to satisfy the need for impressive stations, each station should be uniquely designed with high quality architecture and art from the start. Subway stations replace the streetscapes one takes in on streetcars and buses when it comes to underground transit--they ought to provide a high degree of visual interest. They are important public spaces to the city.

I thought Toromont was forbidden from moving there because people complained about development jumping the greenbelt. I don't think the moraine goes up that far north.

I believe Toromont was scheduled to move into the GREENBELT but not the Moraine (I mis-spoke/typed) earlier. It was in Bradford, well north of the ORM.

Yes, indeed. I was trying to work from memory, not being able to come up with this article at the time: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/602341--vaughan-firm-threatens-to-move-2-500-jobs

That article is 3 years old so a lot of things could have occurred in the interim.

"Functional and cheap" is regrettable when it comes to the Bloor-Danforth line stations. Those stations make using the system so dull that some people list scenery as a reason why they like streetcars--where they don't have to look at the same bathroom tiles for an hour or so

I'd have to disagree with that, the B-D tiles are a cohesive design scheme that are worth keeping on their own merits.

If you see the same thing every day for years, the subway stations on your commute for example, you'll get bored with them regardless of what they look like. How often does anyone who regularly commutes on the Spadina line really notice Museum station anymore?

"Functional and cheap" is regrettable when it comes to the Bloor-Danforth line stations. Those stations make using the system so dull that some people list scenery as a reason why they like streetcars

That's really a bit of a stretch. Yes, the scenery is an advantage of taking a surface route, but it's not that the Bloor-Danforth line in particular is dull in comparison with the surface -- it's that underground travel in general is dull in comparison with the surface. It's exactly the same view of stations and tunnels every time (mostly tunnels!). I really doubt that Spadina line commuters find their ride stimulating and exciting because of the varied architecture while B-D commuters find their ride boring -- I'd say it's equally boring for both.

Back